Question Newly built PC crashing every so often

danil4520

Prominent
Apr 8, 2018
Hi! I've been running into a problem with my PC and I would really love to solve it as quick as I can. I updated my PC build last week to something more compatible for rendering and simulating 3d... but I noticed the system will crash every now and then for no real reason, I'll have a program open for an hour and it'll crash.. or I could have it running for 10hrs and it may still work.. I don't get it!
The PC has...
Corsair LPX 2666mhz 32gb ram (4 sticks)
GTX 1080 ti EVGA SC 2
NZXT AIO Kraken X52 Cooler
Corsair RGB 850 watt PSU
AMD Threadripper 1950x
3 HDDs and 1 SSD
x399 Taichi ATX motherboard, but it is a used Mobo I got off of ebay...I noticed 2 of the slots on the motherboard don't work! Could this be part of the problem? I was thinking of switching it out for a new one just because I don't like faulty equipment.
I am also running Windows 10 Pro, I haven't noticed too many performance issues I believe? I was expecting the system to be a little faster than it turned out to be, sometimes it acts a little clunky and I believe it's on the processor side of things. My thought was the PC is either not getting enough power, something with the motherboard, or it's getting too hot , which shouldn't be the case if the PC has crashed while it's idle more than it has when actively used. I had one case it crashed on me mid simulation, but that was before I added an extra intake fan to the system. I was also expecting the threadripper CPU to allow me to do 3d work while rendering, or render a project while playing a game/ multitask more... but that really hasn't been the case for me, as things just get really slow on performance. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
what is the make and model of the psu? also which dimm slots don't work, because you might need to have the ram running in quad channel for it to work. if you could attach a picture of the ram on your motherboard that would be great

danil4520

Prominent
Apr 8, 2018
what is the make and model of the psu? also which dimm slots don't work, because you might need to have the ram running in quad channel for it to work. if you could attach a picture of the ram on your motherboard that would be great
I have 2 sticks on the 2 far left side of the left dim slots, the 2 dims closer to the cpu don't work. on the left side. And I have the 2 middle slots on the right side filled up. The psu is this one actually I made a typo earlier. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...19ZnOuX_gsfMlb6fqnBoCFssQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I have 2 sticks on the 2 far left side of the left dim slots, the 2 dims closer to the cpu don't work. on the left side. And I have the 2 middle slots on the right side filled up. The psu is this one actually I made a typo earlier. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...19ZnOuX_gsfMlb6fqnBoCFssQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
sounds like you didn't tighten down your cpu enough. sometimes when the cpu is not properly touching all of the motherboard pins, some of the ram lanes dont work. do you have the torque wrench that was included with your threadripper cpu?

danil4520

Prominent
Apr 8, 2018
sounds like you didn't tighten down your cpu enough. sometimes when the cpu is not properly touching all of the motherboard pins, some of the ram lanes dont work. do you have the torque wrench that was included with your threadripper cpu?
yeah I still do, I thought I tightened it pretty well but I can take a look again

danil4520

Prominent
Apr 8, 2018
well you have to tighten it until the wrench clicks so make sure you tighten the screws in the correct order
I tried doing this, along with reseating the cpu, the 2 slots still don't function. The PC is working fine now performance wise, but would the motherboard have any effect on video editing performance? I'm using premiere pro, and I can't even smoothly playback 4k footage if I add simple cut edits.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I tried doing this, along with reseating the cpu, the 2 slots still don't function. The PC is working fine now performance wise, but would the motherboard have any effect on video editing performance? I'm using premiere pro, and I can't even smoothly playback 4k footage if I add simple cut edits.
are both eps 12v power cables connected to the motherboard because I know threadripper still works if only one eps cable is connected but you want all eps cpu power can get.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
You should either buy a new board and make sure your ram is running in quad-channel mode or get an intel CPU and board because premiere favors intel much more if premiere is something you will be doing more. To save money I just recommend getting a new board