[SOLVED] Newly built PC faces continuous BSOD with error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Dec 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

Let me start of by saying that I am quite new to all of this and decided to build my own gaming PC.

The components I chose are:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5950X
GPU: MSI Radeon RX580 Armor 8G OC
Cooler: NZXT Z63
RAM: HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2 64GB RAM (2x32GB) 3200Mhz
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD
PowerSupply: Seasonic Focus GX1000 Gold

Since it is my second gaming PC build ever, I initially wasn't able to post when I turned on the PC, nothing would work and no fans started spinning. I decided to take out the entire build and try to make it work outside the case, it worked. I then re-installed the PC back in the case and it worked as well. I have to mention that during the re-installation of the components, I also had to take out the Z63 Liquid Cooler that had pre-applied thermal paste. Not sure if this causes any issues on the CPU, but just sharing the extra information. I quickly re-inserted the liquid cooler within like 30 minutes of re-building it back in the case.

During installation of Windows, I already got my first BSOD with the error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I then had to completely start the installation from scratch and it worked on the 2nd try. It booted up in Windows and I already started experiencing random BSOD's while not even putting the system under load. It would happen sometimes if I'd browse the web or even install something, occurring at random intervals. I tried installing all the drivers for the MOBO and GPU and did the Windows update as well.

The troubleshooting I already did:
  • Re-installing the drivers for both GPU and MOBO
  • Using the /restorehealth command I found online and also the harddisk check
  • Running the Windows-built in RAM test, no errors either.
  • Running Prime95 for high power/heat/CPU stress and max power/heat/CPU stress - it passed without issues
  • Re-installing Windows 10, didn't help

I have managed to get the minidump files. Please find them attached. I'd appreciate it very much if anyone can point me towards the right direction. Thank you for your help.
Link to Minidump zipfiles: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtvYRGeLKD6W2kQEyi_Tsk814-8x?e=KvAtfB

I couldn't run the Perfmon as it was stuck on 60 seconds forever. However, here is also a screenshot of hwinfo

View: https://imgur.com/TvedmEp

Solution
i can check another bugcheck to see if it is anything different.
nope, all are due to basically the same problem. UNKNOWN cpu version.
see below for info:
----------
first bugcheck : looks like
vmware-vmx.exe running calling into vmx86

vmx86
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vmx86.sys Sun Aug 2 17:23:51 2020
calling a bugcheck 0x124 because of
AMD_PROCESSOR__UNKNOWN
I would look for a update to the vmx86 that is after the release data of your cpu
(oct 9 2020)
your copy of
\SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
does not know about this new CPU. you need to get a updated file.
this is the microsoft file that provides patches for known bugs in the AMD CPUs microcode.
your version has never seen this processor before and will...

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
do you mean if I tried installing Windows 10 on another drive? No, I only have one nvme SSD. Is there any way to figure out if the nvme is causing the issue? I think I did a harddisk test and it didn’t show up any errors.
The thing is to try figure out what the problem is, hard disk tests won't show up everything, if you have a spare ssd drive, you could at least give it a go

Dec 17, 2020
The thing is to try figure out what the problem is, hard disk tests won't show up everything, if you have a spare ssd drive, you could at least give it a go

good point, however, I don’t have any spare SSDs laying around. Is there a way to pinpoint based on the dump files I have added to get a better understanding?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
good point, however, I don’t have any spare SSDs laying around. Is there a way to pinpoint based on the dump files I have added to get a better understanding?
Dump files to me is useless information

I am so glad I do keep spare SSDs and hard drives for this very reason, so I can try to pinpoint where any problems lie. But I hadn't had the need for them so far

You should get a few cheap ones on ebay that are in good condition

i can check another bugcheck to see if it is anything different.
nope, all are due to basically the same problem. UNKNOWN cpu version.
see below for info:
----------
first bugcheck : looks like
vmware-vmx.exe running calling into vmx86

vmx86
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vmx86.sys Sun Aug 2 17:23:51 2020
calling a bugcheck 0x124 because of
AMD_PROCESSOR__UNKNOWN
I would look for a update to the vmx86 that is after the release data of your cpu
(oct 9 2020)
your copy of
\SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
does not know about this new CPU. you need to get a updated file.
this is the microsoft file that provides patches for known bugs in the AMD CPUs microcode.
your version has never seen this processor before and will not provide any fixes.
I would expect that a new version would be pushed out via windows update. make sure it is not being blocked. otherwise you would have to get a amd version of the microcode patch directly from amd.
(the microsoft version will be automatically updated, I would use it if I could)

PS: I would remove this file:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\AsIO2.sys Tue Apr 9 02:59:16 2019
hackers put out code to show how to infect a system and they used this file as the example.
just fyi:

13: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3394
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 25 Model 33 Stepping 0
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
Update Status = REG_DWORD 1
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ AuthenticAMD
13: kd> !sysinfo machineinfo
!sysinfo [ cpuinfo | cpumicrocode | cpuspeed | gbl | machineid | registers | smbios ] [-csv | -noheaders]
13: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.3, DMIVersion 0, Size=3107]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 3001
BiosReleaseDate = 12/04/2020
SystemManufacturer = System manufacturer
SystemProductName = System Product Name
SystemFamily = To be filled by O.E.M.
SystemVersion = System Version
SystemSKU = SKU
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
BaseBoardVersion = Rev X.0x

Last edited:
Solution