Question Newly built PC freezes when browsing chrome or transferring files.

Oct 7, 2021
My specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: B550M Pro-VDH Wifi (MS-7C95)
RAM: Team T-Force Dark Z 2x8 3200Mhz
GPU: GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Storage: 256 SSD (has windows on it),1TB HDD, 1TB M.2. SSD
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply

I built this PC 4 days ago, its the first build I've done myself. I harvested my GPU and Ram from my old PC and it seems to run fine during games but when browsing chrome or transferring files I'll get masssive stuttering or freezes that can last 30-ish seconds. Dunno if its just my horrible AU internet but I've also been getting insane lag spikes when playing games.

What I've done to try and fix:
Turn PC on and Off
Re-Install Chrome
Unplug HDD and plug back in
Unplugging SSD and plugging back in

Don't really know what else to do. If anyone has any idea on whats causing the issue and can help it will be greatly appreciated.
I also should mention I only have the CPU fan, case fan and GPU fans but nothing seems to be over heating in HWMonitor.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU. Can you get into the BIOS and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? As for the OS, did you migrate the drive from the older computer?

My specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: B550M Pro-VDH Wifi (MS-7C95)
RAM: 4x4GB DDR4 (Took out of my old PC, said it was 2133MHz on my old PC when running CPU-Z but now says 1066.4 MHz)
GPU: GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Storage: 256 SSD (has windows on it),1TB HDD, 1TB M.2. SSD

I built this PC 4 days ago, its the first build I've done myself. I harvested my GPU and Ram from my old PC and it seems to run fine during games but when browsing chrome or transferring files I'll get masssive stuttering or freezes that can last 30-ish seconds. Dunno if its just my horrible AU internet but I've also been getting insane lag spikes when playing games.

What I've done to try and fix:
Turn PC on and Off
Re-Install Chrome
Unplug HDD and plug back in
Unplugging SSD and plugging back in

Don't really know what else to do. If anyone has any idea on whats causing the issue and can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Do you have 3 disk in this machine?
Did you install all the proper mobo drivers?
That low speed ram is not helping your perf any.

Oct 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU. Can you get into the BIOS and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? As for the OS, did you migrate the drive from the older computer?

I'll edit the post now. The PSU is a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Power Supply. The OS is a complete fresh install on the 256 GB SSD, I kept all my files from my old pc on my HDD since it only had steam games and downloads. The current BIOS VER is E7C95AMS.280 with a build date of 22/06/21.

Oct 7, 2021
Do you have 3 disk in this machine?
Did you install all the proper mobo drivers?
That low speed ram is not helping your perf any.
Yes I have 3 disks in the machine. The HDD isn't really being used anymore since I have the M.2. SSD now. The 256GB SSD is just for windows only.

I'm pretty sure that I installed all my MOBO drivers right, I got them from the MSI website. I actually just upgraded my ram today to see if it solves any issues, I upgraded to Team T-Force Dark Z 2x8 3200Mhz.

Oct 7, 2021
Could you state how you created the bootable installer for Windows 10? By upgrading, what rams were you on prior? Which ram slots are you populating on the motherboard?

I downloaded the Windows 10 installer from the Microsoft website, I then loaded it onto a USB. I completely formatted the 256GB SSD and then installed windows on it.

As for the ram, my previous ram was 4x4 Apacer Commando 2400Mhz DDR4 Ram. I've got my new ram in slots 2 and 4.