Question Newly built PC Freezing after 5-10 minutes of use

May 14, 2020
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LkjcvW

Just built this last night and installed Windows 10 Home on my SSD. All seemed to be going well. Unfortunately, after 5-10 minutes of use, it will either freeze forever or crash. When it crashes, sometimes I get the BSoD and it says "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". When it freeze, nothing. I really have no clue what the problem is as I followed multiple guides when for putting the parts together.

One minor problem is that since Windows 10 is installed on my SSD I can't find my HDD when I click "my PC". Checking disk management I see that it is "unallocated".

Been googling and checking around for awhile but haven't found a fix. I don't want to influence anyone's possible solutions because at this point I really haven't tried much and most of what I did got interrupted halfway through.

Any help is massively appreciated!

EDIT 1: I've reinstalled Windows on my SSD and the problem persists.

EDIT 2: Running Memtest now, finished Pass #1 and #2 and #3 with no errors.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020
You need to create partitions before you can use the disk.

Can you answer this:
  • Was those 5-10 minutes of you installing drivers ?
  • After freeze - are you able to boot windows fully ?
  • Have you applied thermal paste properly on CPU ?
  • Have you mounted the placeholders correctly ?
  • Does CPU fan spin properly ?
Thanks for reaching out!

The 5-10 mins can be anything. Browsing the internet, checking control panel, using paint, anything. So yeah, it could be for downloading drivers

Yup, I can boot it perfectly. Then, after 5-10 minutes, same thing,

My CPU came with thermal paste on it I'm pretty sure. At least, none came with it in a separate tube

I'm pretty sure, followed the instructions and seems to work fine.

Yeah, the fan spins. "Properly" I'm not sure how I would be able to tell that.

May 14, 2020
Well, "properly" was probably an overstatement. I meant to ask if the fan run at all, and you've confirm. So that's probably not the cause of the problems.

Do you get any warning or hint at all before the freezing ?

Nothing before the freezing, it'll just stop. Sometimes it will crash with the BSoD and give the WATCHDOG error.

Here's an updated post I did with a list of stuff I tried, if that helps. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...se-and-clock_watchdog_timeout_-crash.3606477/