[SOLVED] Newly Built PC Freezing but Mouse Works

Feb 19, 2020
Hey there, I’ve been struggling with my newly built PC for about a month now. Since the day I booted it up with Windows 10 Pro, my PC would randomly freeze up on me. It usually occurs after closing a fullscreen game or even after watching a few YouTube videos and trying to open another program.

It would also occur when trying to install or open a program for the first time. It’s not limited to only these actions, but it seems like it does it most consistently when I go from running one game, or program, to another. It’s even occurred right after startup when I go to click on a shortcut to run a game. The weird part is, when I do get the game open and running, the PC will work fine for extended periods of time until I close it. Shortly after that, the PC will freeze. I can’t recall off the top of my head if tabbing in and out of a fullscreen game will cause these freezes to happen, but every time, 100% of the time, without fail, if I close the full screen game after playing, the PC will freeze immediately after opening the next program.

When the PC freezes, the mouse works fine and if I attempt to open certain programs they would do so, but appear blank or unresponsive. I can open task manager and “end tasks” but the programs would still appear to be running on my screen as well as my Windows taskbar. Any audio that was playing before the freeze either continues playing or if my mouse becomes unresponsive during the freeze, then the last few milliseconds of audio that played before the mouse became unresponsive will be stuck on an infinite loop. If I go into Windows Start menu and attempt to restart my PC or shutdown my PC it does not respond.

At this point, the only thing left to do is power down the PC and reboot it. I’ve tried waiting out the freeze or “unresponsive programs” but nothing ever happens. I am fairly new to troubleshooting computers and after about 4 weeks of searching the Internet for a diagnosis and/or solution, I came up dry of both. If anyone has any information that could help me resolve my issue, it would be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 5600xt
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3600
Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB SSD
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
PSU: EVGA 600 BQ 80+ Bronze Rated 600w (Semi Modular)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
I did a malware scan using Malwarebytes premium and I quarantined about 2400 files mostly detected as Trojan horse. Though that did not affect the occurrence of the freezes, nor the severity.

I’ve ran a memtest but nothing faulty was detected.

I haven’t tried reinstalling any drivers because I had issues with my audio drivers in the past and fixed it by uninstalling Realtek HD Audio drivers.

I haven’t tried turning off fast startup yet and I’m not quite too sure how to check if I’m on the right BIOS update, and if not, how to correctly install the right BIOS update.

From what I’ve read online, MSI B450 tomahawk max motherboards come ready out of the box for Ryzen 3000 series cpus.

When I get home from work around 5pm EST I will try to turn off fast startup and a buddy of mine recommended I try picking up new RAM sticks from Bestbuy to see if my current ones are faulty, which I will troubleshoot today and report back here with more info.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS