Nov 21, 2020
Finished putting together my first pc and have been having no success with getting any audio output besides a quiet constant buzzing. I'll try list everything I've done/observed and have in as much detail as I can. I suspect this is a hardware issue but not entirely sure. Also note that some components like my motherboard have been purchased used.

What I'm using:
I'm using my mobo's onboard audio, my motherboard is the Asrock z370m pro4 and both front and rear aux ports produce the same results(ie buzzing).
I've been using a pair of AKG earphones and Razer Kraken X headset, both give off the same buzzing.
As of writing I have Realtek(R) Audio, driver version 6.0.1.8470. Released: 19/06/2018.
I am using windows 10 pro.

What I've done so far:
I've tried reinstalling realtek audio drivers twice from their official website(I've noticed that I got older drivers from doing that), audio drivers from Asrock z370m pro4 support page(which is the one I'm currently still on).
I've also tried reseating the audio connector on my motherboard, disabling/enabling and uninstalling audio drivers, updating audio drivers, using a headset and earphones that I know work, toying around in settings and windows built in trouble shooter.

What I've observed:
Microphone seems to be recording noise even when I have it muted on my Kraken X headset.
Intensity of buzzing sound doesn't change when using front or rear aux ports or when changing volume.
The buzzing sound persists continuously while pc is on unless powering off or restarting.
Despite windows not showing a notification that an audio device has been plugged in, Realtek Audio Console does seem to recognize a device is plugged in, even to the degree of which aux ports.
When changing speaker configuration in Realtek Audio Console from say stereo to quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1. The buzzing sound makes a faint screeching noise.(indicative of hardware/software?)

What I'm considering:
I think I might dual boot linux to see wether it's a windows driver issue.
Reinstalling Windows.
Trying a usb audio device.
Keep digging for realtek audio drivers.
Crying, lots and lots of crying...

If you have any suggestions or potential fixes please let me know. I've recorded what the buzzing sound sounds like and might add it as a link if it'll help with troubleshooting. Cheers!

Solution
As you mentioned, USB audio device would probably be the first thing I'd try to circumvent the issue. If you purchased the board used I'm assuming there is a budget restraint, but the audio jack to usb converters or external audio cards are not too expensive. You can get one for under 10$, and some a bit more expensive.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
As you mentioned, USB audio device would probably be the first thing I'd try to circumvent the issue. If you purchased the board used I'm assuming there is a budget restraint, but the audio jack to usb converters or external audio cards are not too expensive. You can get one for under 10$, and some a bit more expensive.

Reactions: ChangedCrack
Solution
Nov 21, 2020
As you mentioned, USB audio device would probably be the first thing I'd try to circumvent the issue.
I got around to trying a usb audio device and it worked! So I guess I'll be using that then. But would this suggest that there's something wrong with the way the mobo handles audio output specifically to aux, and would this be indicative of a hardware or software fault most likely?

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I got around to trying a usb audio device and it worked! So I guess I'll be using that then. But would this suggest that there's something wrong with the way the mobo handles audio output specifically to aux, and would this be indicative of a hardware or software fault most likely?

Not sure, some threads imply software driver issues, but I had issue with static on mic with z75 pro3 motherboard and used usb to get around the interference. The place I lived in had the ground wire broken by plow truck so it was not grounded so I assumed that was why, but never went back to 3.5mm audio jack since I only use headsets that have USB adapter instead.

Nov 21, 2020
Not sure, some threads imply software driver issues, but I had issue with static on mic with z75 pro3 motherboard and used usb to get around the interference. The place I lived in had the ground wire broken by plow truck so it was not grounded so I assumed that was why, but never went back to 3.5mm audio jack since I only use headsets that have USB adapter instead.
Interesting, I bought an Orico SC2-BK that I'm just going to stick underneath my desk to get around all the issues. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: AdamG