Newly built pc, installed graphic drivers, and im stuck at 800x600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKRTech

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Greetings, everytime I google a problem I always end up to tom's hardware lol. I almost always try to research, and find previous people with similiar problems, go about the routes instructed by others to follow, and normally I can fix it myself without having to pay someone to do it for me.

But, unfortunally, I am stuck, lost clueless... I would shell out some $$$ but I already forked over too much this week, in attempts to rebuild my once powerful rig.

Once night, after 5 hours of stressful, late hours in adobe... My computer froze, and I haven't saved my progress in along time... I tried to quickly restart the computer, but it came to a pause during startup and stood there. I was a bit drunk, and extremely pissed... I then did the worst thing possible, and lived in regret since... I picked up the entire computer, (with the side panel off), and slammed it on the ground... I then punched the inside, a good 3-4 times, mostly right at the CPU heatsink area... I was very pissed, then went to bed... The next morning my computer was dead, wouldnt boot up. Ok, so thats how I got into this mess... And don't worry guys, really, I don't drink anymore... That was the day I quit, when I lost my egxpensive desktop.

Now, I am stuck at buying a new pc, or trying to fix this. I decided I was going to try and fix it. So without it starting up, I went out and bought a 750W Thermaltake Power Supply. Went home, installed it... It was power up for about 3 seconds, then off... I tried pulling the ram out, leavine one stick in... Same thing, I tried resetting the BIO's battery, and still no luck... So I decided now I need to go and buy a motherboard...

I went out and bought a Sabertooth x58 (1366 Socket), and a very nice CPU heatsink cooler... Also bought a new case, i figured why not just do it right! Got home, after a few hours I got it all installed... This is my first time installing a motherboard, but I'm ok with computers... I read the manual here and there, to double check myself...

Anyways... Now I got it all up and running. I got it to boot to windows 7 desktop. Keep in mind, I am using the same Hard drives. I was now on my old OS, and I was installing the motherboard drivers. Everything thus far has gone good, but my graphics card which is a GeForce GTX 460. I installed the drivers directly from nVidia's website, reset the PC, and I get this error when I try to click the nVidia quick icon by the clock;

"NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU".

Now I have tried downloading the drivers, and also installing clean. That did not work, so I completley installed a fresh new copy of windows 7. Again, installed all the drivers and updates (From service packs, to any sort of driver windows update has to install). After a fresh new windows, and fulled upgraded including all drivers... I still cannot get to change the resolution of the screen...

Now, my question is... Is my GPU bad? I am almost positive nothing hit the card, and it doesnt look at all damaged. I have a display on one of my monitors, but I cant change my resolution nor will the nVidia cPanel open. Or did I possibly forget to change something when switching motherboards? I went from a MSI m58x to a Sabertooth n58. I have a i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 9 Gigs of RAM (DDR3).

After switching motherboards, I installed drivers, and found no success. Then I reinstalled Windows 7 cleanly, wiped everything off, to start new... And same thing... But I get a display on my monitor...

Please, any help would be greatly appericated... Thank you!

DKRTech

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I wouldnt have liked it either... I feel like a asshat, and I have since changed my ways... I guess the real question is, can a GPU be dead but yet still display a minimal signal, but only at 800x600?

DKRTech

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Unfortunally I dont have another PC, only a desktop and a laptop... Also, I have the monitor connected to the video card, not the motherboard... I have it connected, and i get a output but its only 800x600... Guess only way to find out is to get a new GPU, damn... :( Big mistake, i learned the hard way i presume.

DKRTech

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

That is the only thing I have not yet tried. I have accessed the BIOs menu from bootup, but I see no option for a GPU, and its weird language... Its like 80% english, and then 20% are jibberish, its pretty crazy... Unless I am blind, Im going to check the manual for the motherboard right now, see if theres a way to change that option in the BIOs, i looked but didn't see anything when I last had it up...

DKRTech

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Sadly, but unfortunally I agree my card is dead... :(

Leaving now to the store, to buy a new one... Lesson learned, don't drink and computer, unless you can handle an error now and there, lol... Im sure it would have been alot cheaper to fix if I didn't office space the tower... I hate life, but anywho I must undo what I did.... Thank you all for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS