Question Newly Built PC keeps on freezing randomly.

Sep 11, 2022
My newly build pc keeps on freezing randomly,
Everything is running smoothly when I'm playing games but when i'm not and even when just browsing or left idle it freezes randomly.

Experience this on windows 10 OS, I also updated the bios, firmware and do clean boot. I even upgraded to windows 11 hoping it resolve the random freezes.
is it the hardware or operating system, Any ideas what it could be and how to solve it? Thanks you!

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
GIGABYTE x570 UD
32 GB T-force - RAM
500 GB NVME - SSD
2tb SEAGATE
750 W 80 T
RTX 2060 ASUS DUAL

How old is that PSU? As in, how long has it been in service?

It's not the worst PSU ever, very mediocre, but not horrible either. They tend to not last terribly long though. I've seen a lot of them develop problems around the 2.5 to 3 year mark.

Also, how many DIMMs (Memory modules) do you have, did they all come together in ONE single kit or multiple kits and exactly which slots are they installed in?

Sep 11, 2022
How old is that PSU? As in, how long has it been in service?

It's not the worst PSU ever, very mediocre, but not horrible either. They tend to not last terribly long though. I've seen a lot of them develop problems around the 2.5 to 3 year mark.

Also, how many DIMMs (Memory modules) do you have, did they all come together in ONE single kit or multiple kits and exactly which slots are they installed in?
I didn't actually review the PSU, but I bought it new.

For the memory - its dual in line : 2GB T-Force 2x16 GB. They where installed apart I think A2 and B2,.

sorry not that knowledgeable on the technical.

Sep 11, 2022
Did you have this problem BEFORE you installed this power supply?

Did you just build this system or did you replace just the power supply a week ago and if so, why did you replace the power supply?
Its a newly built PC. I bought all the parts new including the PSU, last week.

I don't even SEE an F31 version for that board, so either it had a problem and was removed from the list of available BIOS versions or, I don't know. Either way, you are WAY behind on updates. I'd recommend you update to the latest version, F37d. You only need to update to that version which contains all previous updates.

BIOS updates can be found here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-UD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

And instructions on updating are here: https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

Sep 11, 2022
I don't even SEE an F31 version for that board, so either it had a problem and was removed from the list of available BIOS versions or, I don't know. Either way, you are WAY behind on updates. I'd recommend you update to the latest version, F37d. You only need to update to that version which contains all previous updates.

BIOS updates can be found here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-UD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

And instructions on updating are here: https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html
Thank you appreciate your response. Yeah, Really unusual that F31 version is not on the list.

I tried to update to F37d and got an error: cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit version of windows.
I'm sure my board is x570 UD, is there other way to auto detect and update to the latest?

Look on the motherboard itself. The model number should be printed directly on the motherboard. You need to make sure the flash drive you are using is properly formatted as well. Generally won't work well on most boards if the flash drive is formatted as NTFS file system. Some will, some will not, that might be your problem. Try formatting the flash drive as FAT32, putting the files on it again and retry.

Sep 11, 2022
Look on the motherboard itself. The model number should be printed directly on the motherboard. You need to make sure the flash drive you are using is properly formatted as well. Generally won't work well on most boards if the flash drive is formatted as NTFS file system. Some will, some will not, that might be your problem. Try formatting the flash drive as FAT32, putting the files on it again and retry.
I have successfully updated my BIOS, It seems this fixed the random freeze. I'll observe this for a week. Thanks a lot!!

dennisr48

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I had a similar problem, it turned out the SSD was the problem. It was brand new and passed standard tests but as soon as I swapped it out for a different SSD, freezes stopped.