Newly built pc lights keyboard and power button but nothing else

Nov 20, 2018
This build has become a little bit of a nightmare for me and I feel like I'm going insane haha.

I built this computer twice now. The first time I was able to get the pc itself to start, all the fans worked, the gpu lit up, the motherboard lit up etc. However, it would not post/go to BIOS. After plugging everything in and out, I still received 0 dice. Eventually I decided to take everything apart and do it again, except this time I decided to follow along with a video with some guy building his own pc. (I was a confident beginner.) After realizing that I did everything same the first time, I was still hopeful for a boot. Now, however, the pc won't even start. When turning on the PSU, only the power button light turns on as well as my keyboard (of all things.) Pressing the power button does absolutely nothing now.

Specs: CPU: i5 9600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte z370p d3
PSU: EVGA 750 g3 supernova
Graphics card: 1070 FTW
Memory: 2x8gb Ballistix 2666
Tower: Deepcool Earlcase

I had 3 little "problems" during my entire build. First is that I was building on a carpet (which is something you shouldn't do), however nothing was turned on until it was finished with the case in the upright position. Second is that I when I was installing the cpu cooler for the first time, I mounted the bracket the wrong way and I was putting a lot of pressure on the cpu because the cooler screws wouldn't reach the holes. However, there is no visible damage on the cpu, although there is no way to find out if it's dead unless I put it in another pc which is something I can't do. Lastly, I had a confusing time installing the f panel wires because the power switch had writing on one side (which I assumed it the right side up) and on the back side it had an arrow pointing to what I assumed and researched is the plus side, the arrow dictated that I would have to plug it in "writing side down." I don't remember which way I tried first but i did try both as well as in another socket because my motherboard's fpanel pins have 2 place where you can plug in the switch. Nonetheless, I googled if this could be a problem and most threads say no.

I tried taking the cmos battery in and out, I tried removing ram, I refitted the cpu, I tried different displays and cables and plugging into motherboard vs graphics card when the pc did turn on but didn't display.
Thank you for your time.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Is your BIOS updated? If its not, that 9th gen chip will not work with that motherboard. If that doesnt fix it or you have already done that, if you would like, send me a PM and ill discord call you, because theres A LOT of trouble shooting we'd have to do and it would take wayyyy too long through text.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Even if you cant get to your bios, if you're getting any power at all, you can force an update bios with a USB and the proper file on most boards. Also, did you take any little pieces of rubber off of any pins on the motherboard?

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

On your specific board you cannot unfortunately. So you're getting power, but its not posting?

Nov 20, 2018

I'm getting power in the sense that when I turn on the psu only my keyboard and power button light up. However when I press the power button the PSU doesn't start/the fan doesn't spin.