Newly built pc may 2014, BSOD crashes please help

Attom

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm really hurting over here, 1st gaming computer I ever built and it was running great for awhile. About a month and a half ago it has been BSOD crashing. Doing anything really, in the middle of Survival missions in games ill be at a 25-30 min mark and then out of no where BSOD. I was just playing Rome 2 in the middle of a battle...BSOD... I have ran chdsk 2 times, first time it said it had 2 bad sectors that it was repairing. computer ran fine for awhile then they started coming back again. so I ran chdsk and I dont think it had any bad sectors. So Ive updated drivers, again it runs fine for a couple days. it shouldn't be overheating rooms fairly cool. idk what to do, or what steps to take to try and fix this. I didn't want to just jump to conclusions.

I've read through toms hardware when i was buying stuff to make sure i built this right but this is killin me. So I am really hoping maybe i can get some help with this. Just let me know what else you need to know and I'll get it as fast as i can.

here is what I get after the crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800DB19028
BCP3: 00000000BF800000
BCP4: 0000000000000124
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\091114-14196-01.dmp
C:\Users\Attomsk\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-24538-0.sysdata.xml

Spec:

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST4000DX001 4TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

ASUS Z87-A (NFC EXPRESS EDITION) LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W

EVGA 04G-P4-3776-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support FTW 4GB Dual w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

Solution
I would check your physical connections to your storage (hard drive) unplug the cables and reset them. I would move the connection to a different SATA port, enable hotswap in BIOS for that port if you have that option. Run tests of your hard drive. (seatools)
update the CPU chiset drivers they have the default drivers for you SATA controller. get them directly from the CPU vendor. if you are using a secondary sata controller you should also update those drivers from the sata chip vendor (or your motherboard vendor site)

-------------
hal is hardware abstraction layer it kind of provides a layer that maps functions of different hardware to the same interface to allow the operating system to run on various hardware but use the...

Attom

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

no not yet, thats a good idea to start with let me try that. I haven't done anything sofar except the chdsk .

bugcheck 124 is generated directly from the CPU. Reinstalling windows should not help unless you have a overclocking driver installed that gets deleted.

for this error you want to update the BIOS if you have one (or set it to defaults) and remove any overclocking. You can get this error from overheating also, so make sure your fans are spinning and are not blocked (remove dust)
You can also get this error sometimes with power supply fluctuations.
you can also get this error from some overclocking software left running on your machine.
you can get this error if you BIOS is set to automatically overclock.

(edit, remove info intended for a different post)

Attom

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

No overclocking on the computer, didnt really see the need with it being new. also me being a new owner not something i feel comfortable with. ill try cleaning it out, fans are running and i have this over the cpu:
Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes.

i did run a seatools scan and i got this
"Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools for DOS, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our online FAQ:" so gonna download the dos version, ill update as soon as i can.

it is kind of weird to get a 0x124 bugcheck with a hard drive problem.
do you get a actual memory .dmp file produced?
if you have the file C:\Windows\Minidump\091114-14196-01.dmp
put it up on a share service and I will take a quick look

you can get this error if you 2 graphics cards pull too much power or one of the supplemental connections are not connected. (bad power to graphics cards)

Attom

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

i have 10 crashes, the 9 most recent ones all say the same thing.

On Fri 9/12/2014 6:44:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091114-14196-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800DB19028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

hal.dll= from what i can tell that is pointing to a physical hard drive error most likely? am i right? so it sounds like the hard drive is going, which sucks cause its pretty new. :(

the first crash i had was from this:

On Fri 6/20/2014 6:50:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062014-9313-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC500573E0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x3A8EC8880, 0xFFFFF8A00AE7C800)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

now i dont know what that one means, so if any of you are reading this it would be appreciated to know what my next plan of action is. Should i change out the hard drive? is it even worth repairing since its so new and already messed up? Also I would like to say Thank You very much to all of you, helped open my eyes abit more with my pc. And i learned some new things so again thank you guys.

The error code in the first one may be pointing to an overheating issue - "This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.". Which I doubt would be hard drive related. Have you checked the temps? I'm not saying this is the best program to use but Speccy from Piriform is one option.
HWMonitor is another option to consider.

It's tough to tell, some of what I have read said it could be CPU related (as was mentioned by johnbl) and others report it could be a RAM issue (MemTest86)

As for the second one, it looks like it could be a driver issue. One of the first drivers to check is the video card driver.

Attom

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

I havent been recording temps, I do check up on them though with speedfan.
just got done playing rome for an hour no problems temps though are:
gpu 30c
Hd0 31c
temp1 28c
temp2 30c
core0 20-28c
core1 20-28c
core 2 20-28c
core3 20-28c

After the first bsod i remember reading online and the most common thing was to update drivers. i went to device manager and checked to make sure everything was up to date. May be why I only have 1 of those crashes.
but the other 9 are the exact same. only 1 gpu. I am runnin on 1000w power supply, i was scared about not having enough power for the graphics card. So I bought that from crossair.

I would check your physical connections to your storage (hard drive) unplug the cables and reset them. I would move the connection to a different SATA port, enable hotswap in BIOS for that port if you have that option. Run tests of your hard drive. (seatools)
update the CPU chiset drivers they have the default drivers for you SATA controller. get them directly from the CPU vendor. if you are using a secondary sata controller you should also update those drivers from the sata chip vendor (or your motherboard vendor site)

-------------
hal is hardware abstraction layer it kind of provides a layer that maps functions of different hardware to the same interface to allow the operating system to run on various hardware but use the same functions.

the second error you listed was a kernel inpage error, This means that the system tried to read data from storage and was unable to read it. You want to test your storage system.

-Lots of things can cause this. Hard drive fail, files corrupted on the hard drive, file system corrupted on hard drive, Bad connection with your data cable to your hard drive, Power failed to your hard drive, you unpluged your hard drive while the system was running and plugged it back in but did not have hotswap enabled in BIOS.
Thermal breaks in your cable, where the cable gets warm and makes and breaks the connection several times a second (and hot swap is disabled in BIOS)

bugs in SSD firmware can also cause this as well as lot
- problems in BIOS setting for memory can cause the address to be wrong.
and device driver if you use a 3rd party driver that microsoft does not have legal access to push out via windows update. (very common problem)

Solution