Question Newly Built PC Not Displaying, BIOS Issue?

May 4, 2019
When I turn the PC on everything starts normally but there's no display. Mobo light indicates a graphics card issue, but both old and new cards don't work. I sent the motherboard in on warranty and it was returned saying there was a BIOS error and it could be fixed by updating the BIOS. I tried using Crashfree BIOS with both the support disk and a flash drive with a newer BIOS version, but neither seem to work. I did a CMOS clear but it did nothing. The file on the flash drive is unzipped and is the only file on the drive. Can confirm both graphics cards work. No lights on my keyboard (i.e. caps lock, num lock) come on after the PC is left to run for a while so it doesn't seem like the BIOS is starting at all. What do?

Specs:
ROG B450-F Gaming
MSI RTX 2070 Armor
2x8 GB Ripjaws V DIMM
Samsung Evo+ 970 500GB M.2
Seagate Barracude 3TB
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
750W Bronze PSU

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
My first question to Asus would be why didn't they update the BIOS before sending it back to you?
Have you tried with just one stick of ram installed?
Also I have that same MB and BIOS version 1201 seems to be the most compatible and stable version available so I would see if you can get that version to flash.

May 4, 2019
My first question to Asus would be why didn't they update the BIOS before sending it back to you?
Have you tried with just one stick of ram installed?
Also I have that same MB and BIOS version 1201 seems to be the most compatible and stable version available so I would see if you can get that version to flash.
I'd chalk it down to Asus customer service being notoriously bad. I will try with one stick of RAM and try to flash that version.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ LOL, Yeah that was a rhetorical question.
It just amazes me that they had it in a shop and wouldn't flash the BIOS to test it out.

PS
What exact model RAM do you have ?
Are they on the QVL for our MB ?
I specifically bought G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 RAM (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) because they are listed on the QVL and I run them at 3400 MHz without issue.

You could try using a bootable DOS USB drive with BIOS 1201 and BUpdater on it.
Here's a link to BUpdater from our MB support page:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/BUPDATER_0626.zip
And here's a link to the HP USB Tool (with DOS boot files and instructions included) to create a Bootable DOS USB drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HYcQE4FcLj_2yXK0nhXW1qSNy6zgvWwl

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
^ LOL, Yeah that was a rhetorical question.
It just amazes me that they had it in a shop and wouldn't flash the BIOS to test it out.

PS
What exact model RAM do you have ?
Are they on the QVL for our MB ?
I specifically bought G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 RAM (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) because they are listed on the QVL and I run them at 3400 MHz without issue.

You could try using a bootable DOS USB drive with BIOS 1201 and BUpdater on it.
Here's a link to BUpdater from our MB support page:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/BUPDATER_0626.zip
And here's a link to the HP USB Tool (with DOS boot files and instructions included) to create a Bootable DOS USB drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HYcQE4FcLj_2yXK0nhXW1qSNy6zgvWwl
Exact RAM model is G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 F4-3000C15D-16GVRB, and is not on the QVL, although the Micro Center guy set me up with that DIMM-Mobo combo claiming it would work. I will try the bootable DOS drive and see.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You will need to rename the BIOS file to 1201.ROM (instead of ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING-ASUS-1201.CAP) for BUpdater to recognize it.
It definitely needs to be in DOS 8.3 format (1201.CAP may work).

If the USB drive does boot,
type:
Bupdater.exe /i1201.ROM

(Don't forget the /i )
Then hit the Enter Key.

PS
Make SURE the single stick of RAM is in slot A2 as shown on page 1-5 of the manual.

If that doesn't work try renaming the BIOS file to:
RX450FGM.CAP
And put it on a FAT 32 formatted Non-bootable 2GB, 4GB or 8 GB USB stick connected to a USB port on the back of the MB just to see if crash free 3 will detect and flash it.
It is supposed to work from any MB USB port BUT you might have to try them all one at a time just to be sure a particular port isn't necessary for it to work properly.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
You will need to rename the BIOS file to 1201.ROM (instead of ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING-ASUS-1201.CAP) for BUpdater to recognize it.
It definitely needs to be in DOS 8.3 format (1201.CAP may work).

If the USB drive does boot,
type:
Bupdater.exe /i1201.ROM

(Don't forget the /i )
Then hit the Enter Key.

PS
Make SURE the single stick of RAM is in slot A2 as shown on page 1-5 of the manual.

If that doesn't work try renaming the BIOS file to:
RX450FGM.CAP
And put it on a FAT 32 formatted Non-bootable 2GB, 4GB or 8 GB USB stick connected to a USB port on the back of the MB just to see if crash free 3 will detect and flash it.
It is supposed to work from any MB USB port BUT you might have to try them all one at a time just to be sure a particular port isn't necessary for it to work properly.
Tried bootable drive and the renamed BIOS and the first didn't boot and it doesn't seem that the renamed BIOS flashed. Got anything else up your sleeve?
Edit: I'm trying a CMOS clear and then the renamed BIOS to see if that helps. [It didn't]

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The only other things I can think of is to double check the power cables to the GPU are fully connected at both ends (GPU and PSU if it's modular).
And check that the GPU is fully seated in the slot.
Also you may want to pull the CPU and inspect and reseat it just to be 100% sure there are no bent pins that are affecting the PCI-E lanes.