Newly Built PC not recognizing USB Drives

TGPomy9795

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi everyone. I recently built my first gaming PC, using Skylake and an MSI Z170 ITX board.

Everything was going smoothly, I installed Windows 7 via a bootable USB, and the system is up and running. However, I am having a problem installing all of the drivers.

I have a bunch of CDs with drivers that I need to install (including ETHERNET), but when I put them on my flash drive and plug it in, my computer does not recognize it and it doesn't show up in storage or disk management. I've tried 2 different USB drives, both of which work on every other computer in my house. I have enabled Legacy USB support in the BIOS, tried plugging them into USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots, but to no avail. They are seen in the BIOS, but once Windows 7 boots, it's as if they aren't even there. USB Keyboard and Mouse work fine, btw.

Can someone please help me figure out why my new PC won't detect USB Flash Drives? I've been struggling to install these drivers for over a day now.

I'm assuming this is a Windows 7 issue, so if there isn't a fix I'll just go buy Windows 10 and start over.

Thanks.

Solution
your PC is missing the drivers for the USB controller. Windows 10 has better driver support so you may get lucky.
if you want to stick with windows 7, you can install a SATA DVD drive temporarily, just to install the drivers.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
your PC is missing the drivers for the USB controller. Windows 10 has better driver support so you may get lucky.
if you want to stick with windows 7, you can install a SATA DVD drive temporarily, just to install the drivers.

Solution

TGPomy9795

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

So if I go out and buy Windows 10, and install it on my PC, the USB Drives will show up, you think?

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

if you buy Windows 10, and install it on your PC, the USB Drives MAY show up. but if they don't, you will have to buy a DVD drive.

as a troubleshooting tool a DVD drive is more useful than a copy of windows 10.

or you can try to figure out make and model of your USB controller and see if its natively supported under windows 10.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

Just download the drivers from the internet

TGPomy9795

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

I can't, because my PC is missing Ethernet drivers.....which are on the USB flash drive. So I can't access the internet. Also, my PC has no space for a DVD Drive.

TRENDING THREADS