Question Newly built pc outputs nothing

Sep 25, 2023
Hey good people,
I've recently built my first PC ever and it outputs nothing, I don't even know if the pc manages to get into bios or not. I literally have no idea nor sign about what to do. My only lead are the EZ Debug leds on my MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR5 motherboard. Once I press the power button, the cpu led turns red for 3 seconds then the vga led white for 2 seconds and then the "BOOT" led remains green until I turn off the PC. (Resetting the CMOS did nothing btw)

Oh sorry I forgot(thank you JohnBonhamsGhost). Here are the specs, please ignore the low end gpu (I'm out of money :p)

I5 12400F 4.4Ghz
32gb (16x2) ram ddr5 5600Mhz CL40
Gigabyte GT 730 2gb
1tb M.2. Nvme Msi Spatium M450 Pci4
500gb M.2. Nvme Crucial P3 Pci3
Cooler: this
PSU: MSI MAG A650BN 650Watt
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR5

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023
Do you have your monitor plugged into the gpu or motherboard output? Have you tried both?
I have it plugged into the the gpu, I've edited the post to include the rig specs. I have an F-series cpu so I'm not sure if it can get me to the BIOS at-least.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, and a big part of the reason why I never recommend F skew.

Breadboard out of the case and try the minimum hardware to get it to post. Single stick of RAM, try each slot. Triple check all your power connectors and make sure none of the cables backed out. Check to make sure the CPU is firmly and properly in the socket, no paste down in there, etc.

Reactions: AjaXI
Sep 25, 2023
Thank you for the fast reply. I have unfortunately done all that (twice) and the problem still persists. my mobo does have 2 cpu power slots, I've only plugged in one, could that be the cause? I thought the second slot is only for overclocking purposes.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most boards will at least power up on one, but the ones that have often said so in the manual. Do you see anything indicating that both connectors need to be plugged in? I would not expect it to be a problem with an xx400 skew.

Do you have any mom and pop shops or decent PC store nearby to get an adapter? My thoughts would be that if it powers up on the adapter, immediately power down and then return/source a PSU with all the proper cabling on board.

Sep 25, 2023
I beg your pardon, I'm not a fluent English speaker so could you please clarify which adapter I should get? Also, are you saying that my PSU could be faulty?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The manual doesn't have much to say about your CPU power connectors.

"Dual CPU Power: 8+8 pin"

It doesn't indicate anywhere else that the motherboard will function without both connectors. As you have already pointed out, it isn't uncommon to be able to connect to one of them. Without the manual specifically stating so, I cannot comment other than to say there is a #1 CPU power connector (8 pin) and a #2 CPU power connector (8 pin). If your power supply doesn't have both that could be an issue, but I cannot confirm with anything from the manual.

Have you contacted tech support to ask?

Sep 25, 2023
No but my PSU has only 1 CPU power cable which means I'm only gonna be able to plug in a single one anyway. Thank you punkncat!

Sep 25, 2023
Thank you punkncat. After taking the pc to a pc store, they've checked every part individually and it was the gpu that was faulty. Well not exactly faulty but it worked with the motherboard of the guy who sold it to me but not mine.

not exactly faulty but it worked with the motherboard of the guy who sold it to me but not mine
that would still mean that either your power supply or your motherboard was faulty.
or that the guy who sold it to you was lying to begin with, which is more likely.

it's even possible though that the card was somehow physically damaged while in transfer from the previous owner's to your system.

Reactions: AjaXI