[SOLVED] Newly built PC powering on but failing to display anything on the monitor

questius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Hey, so I was completing a mini-itx build for my college dorm, utilizing some new and old parts when I ran into a problem. I got all the parts into the case without much incident, and the PC powered on just fine, but my monitor wasn't registering any input.

The monitor in question only takes VGA and HDMI, and I have only the HDMI I was using. This build is utilizing my old SSD (250GB), GPU, and RAM sticks (both), but the rest of the parts are new. While working to try and fix the problem, I have done the following:
  • ensuring I plugged the HDMI into the GPU
  • tried plugging HDMI into the motherboard
  • checking that the power and HDMI cords were firmly plugged in
  • changed PC power plug from power strip to the wall socket
  • powered on with only one RAM inserted
  • tested the HDMI cable (works for my Switch dock)
  • tested the monitor (works for HDMI connection to Switch)
  • tried using another monitor (didn't work)
  • checked to make sure all mobo parts were securely in (still didn't work)
  • reseated all internals (still not working)
I am at a loss for what to do. I can't exactly go and check the health of my GPU, motherboard, or CPU (my prime suspects) and they're not cheap to replace. I can provide pictures and video if needed. Any ideas?

PARTS LIST:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Crucial 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory (two of these)
  • Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 SSD
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB
  • Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/ 450 W Power Supply
  • Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor
IF AT ALL RELEVANT: I (incredibly stupidly) used a low-power magnetic screwdriver to put in the internals. I only realized what an idiot I was after I was done. Less troublingly, when I power on the PC, the power button works to turn it on, but becomes completely unresponsive after--even when I hold it down for 20+ seconds it doesn't shut off. I need to use the power switch to turn it off.

Solution
I'm afraid not--I foolishly thought I could just plug it in again and it'd work fine. Do you think that is what is causing it to not properly display to the monitor?
Yeah it's not recommended to use old os on a new build because drivers might conflict. Try it again after reformatting it.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hey, so I was completing a mini-itx build for my college dorm, utilizing some new and old parts when I ran into a problem. I got all the parts into the case without much incident, and the PC powered on just fine, but my monitor wasn't registering any input.

The monitor in question only takes VGA and HDMI, and I have only the HDMI I was using. This build is utilizing my old SSD (250GB), GPU, and RAM sticks (both), but the rest of the parts are new. While working to try and fix the problem, I have done the following:
I am at a loss for what to do. I can't exactly go and check the health of my GPU, motherboard, or CPU (my prime suspects) and they're not cheap to replace. I can provide pictures and video if needed. Any ideas?

PARTS LIST:
IF AT ALL RELEVANT: I (incredibly stupidly) used a low-power magnetic screwdriver to put in the internals. I only realized what an idiot I was after I was done. Less troublingly, when I power on the PC, the power button works to turn it on, but becomes completely unresponsive after--even when I hold it down for 20+ seconds it doesn't shut off. I need to use the power switch to turn it off.
Did you formatted the old ssd before plugging it in?

Ferimer

Distinguished

PARTS LIST:
Can you take a picture of the power supply where it shows the AMPs and Volts section ?

questius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
okay thank you for that, I am sure the 450W should be enough to power that as it says 432W at 12V. Have you done any overclocking?
No overclocking with this one (just built, can't get into BIOS even) and I never overclocked my last PC from which I took the GPU, RAM, and SSD.