Newly built PC randomly rebooting

Vorte7

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I built a new gaming PC a few weeks ago and it has been crashing ever since. Sometimes it's minutes after booting, other times it takes a few hours. I check EventViewer after each reboot and it's always a Kernel-Power 41 with BugcheckCode 0. It can crash while playing video games, web browsing or even booting into the desktop. It seems quite random and I can't see a pattern in the crashes.

A crash is either an automatic reboot (no BSOD) or a hard hang with some static coming from the speakers - requires a hard reset.

Things I have tried so far:

- updating all drivers (even hotfix AMD GPU drivers)
- reinstalling Windows 10
- running memtest86 for 1 full pass - took 12 hours on 1 CPU out of 8, no errors
- running Prime95 - first run PC rebooted after 4 hours, second run was fine. I stopped it after 6:30 hours with all tests passing. Temperatures were in the 55C range
- running FurMark - first time crashed after about a minute, then ran 3-4 times for 30 minutes without failure. Temperature is the 70C range
- running ESET online scanner - no issues
- running Driver Verifier for 48 hours - bugcheck code was still 0 with a couple of reboots
- running SanDisk SSD diagnostics - a SMART extended test resulted in no errors
- rebuilding the whole PC, in case there was a weak connection somewhere

At this point I think it's probably a hardware issue but it's hard to identify which part to RMA. Any ideas?

System specifications:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
RAM HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Rev2
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB 1010MHz (factory OC from 970MHz)
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
You need to eliminate some things on your own. For example, start pc with 1 stick of ram in each slot, then try the other stick of ram. Also, try without the GPU and only on board graphics. Next try to unplug everything except Power, Processor, and 1 stick of memory. Try and narrow it down to which piece is bad. If no pieces are bad it might be corrupted BIOS.

Vorte7

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
PSU is EVGA 600W 80+ White

I ran the memory tests so I assumed memory is not the issue. There is no onboard graphics on this motherboard so I cannot run without the GPU

Vorte7

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
I got a replacement before seeing this. The computer worked fine for a few hours until it just rebooted again.

I don't think 2 units can exhibit the same fault so I think it's safe to say it's not the PSU.