Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming plus
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400 CPU @ 2.9 GHz, 2904 MHz, 6 Cores
CPU cooler: Coolermaster master liquid ML 120L liquid cooler
RAM: 2 x 8 GB Corsair DDR4
GPU: EVGA XC ULTRA RTX 2060, 6GB GDDR6 graphics memory
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB + WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 3TB

The problem:
My PC would suddenly shuts off completely and then boots itself backup right away :(

The problem of shutting down randomly started out of nowhere, I personally don’t think is an issue with over-heating as my system monitor displays all temperatures as below 40C.
This shuts down occurs really, I mean really weirdly, I want to say it restarts all randomly as it can shut down while browsing Chrome, running games, watching videos or when the system just finishes starting up. But it also seems to shut down at fixed moment. To elaborate, during my testing with when my pc shuts down, I noticed that my PC shuts down after a fixed amount of time of a mission update while playing destiny 2, always the same mission, always occurs after similar amounts of time, alongside the “fixed time bomb” destiny 2, some games like league of legends and monster hunter world doesn’t have this restarting problems while other games such as Overwatch also has restarting problems but not during specific time like that of destiny 2.

While attempting to solve the restarting problem, I noticed that putting the system in “gaming mode” from the MSI dragon center seems to lower the frequency of PC shutting down while browsing Chrome but didn’t help with other shuts downs at all (such as the destiny 2 shut down as mentioned before)

I’ve checked both CPU and GPU and I believe they are not overclocked at all and the problem remains

I’ve attempted to reset the CMOS on my motherboard but that didn’t do much

I’ve also noticed that my pc tends to make a buzzing sound while displaying relatively demanding graphics which leads me to suspect problems with the GPU, but after “under-clocking” my GPU by limiting it to a lower voltage, the frequency of the restarts seems to lower but it didn’t help with the buzzing sound

I’m really out of ideas on what could be wrong and how can I fix it, any comments and help would be really, really helpful and I appreciate all the time you guys spend reading and helping me with my pc problems!

Thank you all so much :)

Solution
Random restarts, like that are likely to point to PSU. I'd go there first, and swap out if you can, or bring to local repair shop for them to swap out.

Buzzing sound, is indicative of coil whine, which can be caused by a bad PSU, linked to the GPU at full load.

jasper657

Prominent
Oct 31, 2019
Hello!

I’ve recently built a new PC (Yay!), and below are the specs

The problem:
My PC would suddenly shuts off completely and then boots itself backup right away :(

The problem of shutting down randomly started out of nowhere, I personally don’t think is an issue with over-heating as my system monitor displays all temperatures as below 40C.
This shuts down occurs really, I mean really weirdly, I want to say it restarts all randomly as it can shut down while browsing Chrome, running games, watching videos or when the system just finishes starting up. But it also seems to shut down at fixed moment. To elaborate, during my testing with when my pc shuts down, I noticed that my PC shuts down after a fixed amount of time of a mission update while playing destiny 2, always the same mission, always occurs after similar amounts of time, alongside the “fixed time bomb” destiny 2, some games like league of legends and monster hunter world doesn’t have this restarting problems while other games such as Overwatch also has restarting problems but not during specific time like that of destiny 2.

While attempting to solve the restarting problem, I noticed that putting the system in “gaming mode” from the MSI dragon center seems to lower the frequency of PC shutting down while browsing Chrome but didn’t help with other shuts downs at all (such as the destiny 2 shut down as mentioned before)

I’ve checked both CPU and GPU and I believe they are not overclocked at all and the problem remains

I’ve also noticed that my pc tends to make a buzzing sound while displaying relatively demanding graphics which leads me to suspect problems with the GPU, but after “under-clocking” my GPU by limiting it to a lower voltage, the frequency of the restarts seems to lower but it didn’t help with the buzzing sound

I’m really out of ideas on what could be wrong and how can I fix it, any comments and help would be really, really helpful and I appreciate all the time you guys spend reading and helping me with my pc problems!

Oct 5, 2020
Hello!

I’ve recently built a new PC (Yay!), and below are the specs

The problem:

Hello there!

I have the same CPU and GPU (2060 Super, and am facing the ABSOLUTELY SAME ISSUE.

I AM SO FRUSTRATED.

Did you find a solution for you that worked for you? It'll be very kind to get a reply

Thank you!