Build Advice Newly Built PC running like a complete donkey and I am at a loss for what to do.

Oct 14, 2022
Like the title says, I just built a brand new pc and it has so many stupid problems I don't know what to do at this point. I am about to just put it in the closet and buy a prebuilt one at this point, but I digress.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler- White
GPU: Nvidia 3080 Vision
MOBO: Gigabyte GA B550I
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM PLUS GOLD
RAM: Corsair VengenceRGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2X16GB
SSDs: 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 2 TB
970 Evo Plus 1 TB
Chassis: Cooler Master NR200P
Windows 11

GPU Temp: 46°C CPU Temp: 65°C

I'm going to list the problems:
1. When I first built it, I kept getting BSODs, so I changed the PSU from a corsair 750 plat to the evega one and re-cabled the entire PC. I realized I daisy-chained the GPU originally. It's now using 2 separate cables PCIE cables. I also had my GPU vertically mounted with a riser cable because it is an ITX build, but I reconfigured it to the horizontal standard way with no riser cable. After all this, I stopped getting the BSODs.

2. Now some games work fine, Satisfactory, Phasmo, Fallout 76, etc. Dead By Daylight won't even launch half the time and when it does it just lags the entire time and looks like I'm rubber banding. I think maybe some microstuttering and tearing too. Frames also started dropping after the last update. Before it would sit around 59-62 FPS but still do the stuttering. I've tried almost everything recommended online and nothing has worked.

3. The PC itself is just slow. Like half the time updates won't go through or just doing simple things like opening task manager are laggy to where the mouse will freeze and not move around. It boots up slower than my old prebuilt as well.

4. Hypercloud wireless has static noise and sounds terrible. They sound fine on my laptop. My wired ones don't work half the time and my sound is always <Mod Edit> to where I have to go into settings and fix it all the time by "resetting" all devices in the volume mixer which also doesn't work. Discord also shows up 3-4 times in the volume mixer.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Yes, the PC is up-to-date drivers included. MOBO is the newest Bios and up to date. I checked all of that multiple times and did clean installs, dism scans, scf scans. My ram sticks came from my old computer and it ran very well for being a baked potato. Please help and sorry for the formatting/ grammar.

Gigabyte GA-B550I AORUS PRO AX Performance Results - UserBenchmark

According to task manager windows 11 setup is taking about 16% of my CPU

Last edited by a moderator:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Userbenchmark says you have a 35% CPU load during the benchmark, that would certainly cause issues. Clean installs should rule out most viruses, but a rootkit could be present that is re-installing something every time. Go through your running processes with a fine tooth comb. See if your performance returns to normal when the computer is disconnected from the internet.

CPU cooler? Chassis? What are your CPU and GPU temperatures.

Poor drive performance, poor CPU performance, poor GPU performance. Good ram performance. Possibility something is wrong with the motherboard.

As to your riser cable, you should double check that it is a PCIe 4.0 capable cable. Or you need to force the GPU to run at 3.0 speed to make that work. You can do that from the BIOS.

Hey there,

What bios are you currently running? Did you reset CMOS after updating the bios update? This is essential. Some of the issues you describe could be related to known issues with previous AGESA builds. You ideally want to be running a bios with AGESA 1.2.0.7.

You mentioned system drivers are up to date. Are you running the Ryzen balanced plan? This important to ensure the CPU runs as intended.

Are you running PBO, Ryzen Master, or any CPU management software?

Also, which exact EVGA PSU are you running?

Agree with Eximo, there's a lot of underperformance there. Can you run Samsung Magician and run a performance test to see if this is anomaly?

Check Windows Event view for suspicious errors and critical errors. Sometimes this gives a clue as to what may be happening.
Is this on a clean install of Windows?
Is your RAM kit on the list of compatible kits for the motherboard?
Have you done an install of the graphics driver after having uninstalled them with DDU?
Have you gone over and checked the connections to and from the PSU to all components and made sure they are all snuggly installed?

Like the title says, I just built a brand new pc and it has so many stupid problems I don't know what to do at this point. I am about to just put it in the closet and buy a prebuilt one at this point, but I digress.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia 3080 Vision
MOBO: Gigabyte GA B550I
PSU: Evega 850 Gold
RAM: Corsair VengenceRGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2X16GB
SSDs: 980 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 2 TB
970 Evo Plus 1 TB
Windows 11

I'm going to list the problems:
1. When I first built it, I kept getting BSODs, so I changed the PSU from a corsair 750 plat to the evega one and re-cabled the entire PC. I realized I daisy-chained the GPU originally. It's now using 2 separate cables PCIE cables. I also had my GPU vertically mounted with a riser cable because it is an ITX build, but I reconfigured it to the horizontal standard way with no riser cable. After all this, I stopped getting the BSODs.

2. Now some games work fine, Satisfactory, Phasmo, Fallout 76, etc. Dead By Daylight won't even launch half the time and when it does it just lags the entire time and looks like I'm rubber banding. I think maybe some microstuttering and tearing too. Frames also started dropping after the last update. Before it would sit around 59-62 FPS but still do the stuttering. I've tried almost everything recommended online and nothing has worked.

3. The PC itself is just slow. Like half the time updates won't go through or just doing simple things like opening task manager are laggy to where the mouse will freeze and not move around. It boots up slower than my old prebuilt as well.

4. Hypercloud wireless has static noise and sounds terrible. They sound fine on my laptop. My wired ones don't work half the time and my sound is always <Mod Edit> to where I have to go into settings and fix it all the time by "resetting" all devices in the volume mixer which also doesn't work. Discord also shows up 3-4 times in the volume mixer.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Yes, the PC is up-to-date drivers included. MOBO is the newest Bios and up to date. I checked all of that multiple times and did clean installs, dism scans, scf scans. My ram sticks came from my old computer and it ran very well for being a baked potato. Please help and sorry for the formatting/ grammar.

Gigabyte GA-B550I AORUS PRO AX Performance Results - UserBenchmark
Try this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results.

Oct 14, 2022
Userbenchmark says you have a 35% CPU load during the benchmark, that would certainly cause issues. Clean installs should rule out most viruses, but a rootkit could be present that is re-installing something every time. Go through your running processes with a fine tooth comb. See if your performance returns to normal when the computer is disconnected from the internet.

CPU cooler? Chassis? What are your CPU and GPU temperatures.

Poor drive performance, poor CPU performance, poor GPU performance. Good ram performance. Possibility something is wrong with the motherboard.

As to your riser cable, you should double check that it is a PCIe 4.0 capable cable. Or you need to force the GPU to run at 3.0 speed to make that work. You can do that from the BIOS.
I knew was forgetting something. CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler- White Chassis Cooler Master NR200P... Temps have been good. Ill update the post with the most recent temps shortly. I was thinking of trying a different MOBO after trying some of the stuff suggested here to see if that fixes it. Considering switching the chassis just because the ITX is so unforgiving.

Oct 14, 2022
Hey there,

What bios are you currently running? Did you reset CMOS after updating the bios update? This is essential. Some of the issues you describe could be related to known issues with previous AGESA builds. You ideally want to be running a bios with AGESA 1.2.0.7.

You mentioned system drivers are up to date. Are you running the Ryzen balanced plan? This important to ensure the CPU runs as intended.

Are you running PBO, Ryzen Master, or any CPU management software?

Also, which exact EVGA PSU are you running?

Agree with Eximo, there's a lot of underperformance there. Can you run Samsung Magician and run a performance test to see if this is anomaly?

I did when I updated the BIOS but I'm not really sure if it worked. No Ryzen balanced plan and read that it does show up for new CPUs and I did download the chipset drivers etc that included that. I have the Ryzen master software but haven't messed with it.

For the Magician benchmark should I be looking for something specific?

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM PLUS GOLD