Question Newly built PC shuts off randomly during 3DMark, VR, etc.

Jan 1, 2022
I recently bought a new processor, motherboard, RAM and CPU cooler to upgrade my computer. Here’s the list of specific parts:

Intel Core i9-12900K 5.2 GHz
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB 2x16GB CL40
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

The RAM sticks pass the built-in MemTest64, the processor withstands the Cinebench test, but when I tried to use my VR headset, the computer shut off. I downloaded 3DMark, suspecting there was a problem with the GPU (a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti that has been working fine for about a year). I finally removed the daisy chain configuration, that I couldn’t be bothered to change, to connect a second PCIe cable, but 3DMark keeps shutting down the computer randomly.

Some Google searches have suggested that the PSU might be faulty. I’ve been using this PSU for about six years. It’s an Aerocool Templarius Imperator 850W. I calculated online whether the combination of new parts would require more power than what my PSU provides, but the calculation suggested I’d need about 630W.

So what might be the issue here? I’m considering the following:

1. Best case scenario, I’ve missed a drivers issue with the new Windows installation, although I have installed the latest nVidia drivers.

2. Might my GPU be at fault? Is there a way to test its components in isolation the same way MemTest86 or Cinebench do for the RAM and processor respectively?

3. Maybe my PSU has always been faulty, but I’ve only found that out now that the new processor, motherboard and RAM, added to the GPU, are stressing it more.

If I have to replace the PSU, I don’t look forward to dismantling half of my tower to remove the current one; it might be the hardest part to remove from my Dark Base Pro 900 tower once it’s installed.

PC shutting down in that scenario sounds like a PSU issue.
If you are able to get a good brand 750W+ you could potentially have the case sitting on its side and the power supply sitting outside/on top of the case while you hook it up to test, before pulling everything apart. Testing with a new PSU is the next logical step.

Jan 1, 2022
I’ve been using this PSU for about six years. It’s an Aerocool Templarius Imperator 850W.
Might want to source a reliably built concurrent PSU to rule out your PSU being the root cause of the issue.

What do you mean by concurrent PSU? A google search doesn't clarify it. The couple of PSUs I've considered so far are the Corsair RM850x and the Corsair AX1000, but I don't know if they are concurrent. I'm not a native speaker, so I might have missed something obvious in your wording.

What bothers me about this is the following: wouldn't the stressful Cinebench test, that pushes my 16 core processor to the limit, trip the PSU as well? Because that didn't fail.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What do you mean by concurrent PSU? A google search doesn't clarify it. The couple of PSUs I've considered so far are the Corsair RM850x and the Corsair AX1000, but I don't know if they are concurrent. I'm not a native speaker, so I might have missed something obvious in your wording.

What bothers me about this is the following: wouldn't the stressful Cinebench test, that pushes my 16 core processor to the limit, trip the PSU as well? Because that didn't fail.
He meant current. Newer.

Jan 1, 2022
After searching online I think I have to clarify that the PC doesn't "shut off": it restarts. I don't have to push the power on button again, the computer gets restarted. I don't know if that changes whether or not it might be a PSU issue.

Jan 1, 2022
Almost 10 years old, double forward on the primary and the quality is not top notch. Replace it anyway, it's not reliable anymore. 850w Corsair RMx, EVGA Supernova G6, Fractal Design ION+, Super Flower Leadex III Gold, Thermaltake GF1 and XPG Core Reactor are good options.

I've bit the bullet and bought a 850w Corsair RMx, but it'll take a few days to arrive. I'll update this thread once I replace the old PSU and test the system. I'd rather mount this Corsair RMx before I test whether the new PSU is the solution; after all, unless the new PSU is broken, which is unlikely, I'll keep the new one as the primary anyway.

DSzymborski

Titan
I've bit the bullet and bought a 850w Corsair RMx, but it'll take a few days to arrive. I'll update this thread once I replace the old PSU and test the system. I'd rather mount this Corsair RMx before I test whether the new PSU is the solution; after all, unless the new PSU is broken, which is unlikely, I'll keep the new one as the primary anyway.

Yeah, the good news is that your old PSU should have been replaced anyway -- it never should have been used at all in this build -- so you're not really "out" any money at all if you still have issues.

Reactions: joeloverbeck
Jan 1, 2022
I've gone through the tremendously annoying trouble of removing the PSU shroud from my Dark Base Pro 900, getting rid of the previous PSU from ten years ago and then installing my brand new Corsair RMx Series RM850x. I've run a full stress test on 3DMark, as well as a couple of regular benchmarks, and the system seems stable. The same tests would have resetted my system before. I can't test more before I leave for work, but it does seem that the previous PSU was at fault.

By the way, regarding those power supply cables labeled CPU, and that fit into any of the PCIe slots (they are marked as PCIe/CPU on the PSU), do both need to be plugged into the motherboard in the appropriate ATX connectors that are located side by side? The manual of the motherboard says that you either plug one or both, but surely the result isn't equivalent for the motherboard, right?

Last edited:
After searching online I think I have to clarify that the PC doesn't "shut off": it restarts. I don't have to push the power on button again, the computer gets restarted. I don't know if that changes whether or not it might be a PSU issue.

Replace the PSU. My computer did the same thing when gaming, without notice would just shutdown and restart like you hit the reset button. Replaced a EVGA 750w G2 with a EVGA 1600w G2 I had sitting around and fixed the problem. Had i not had that sitting around i probably would have bought a 1000w just to make sure.

The issue is the RTX line has power spikes that will strip PSU, Ive watched mine in evga precision x1 go from a 80-90% power load and shoot up to 107%, thats a 17-27% power spike that some PSU just cant handle and will trip the PSU.