Question Newly Built PC sometimes Feel static Round the case.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Hi all, ive recently build a new PC, Ive noticed maybe several times that i can feel Static build up round my PC case, Its a corsair 4000x. Can this be normal? and do i need to really worry about it, also i can feel it from my Monitor sometimes. Could it possible that its just my room is very Dry? i have a Carpet, however my Pc is on my desk which is wooden.

Any ideas or reassurance would be apricated.

PS ive never had a static shock, and im quite sure it doesnt always happen.... PC is 6 days old and working perfectly fine, im running a 5600x 3070 and a liquid AIO with a corsair 750 PSU if that helps.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
definitely be careful around that computer, if you can feel static its most likely your carpet thats causing that, monitor is fine ive never had any problems with the static feel on the monitor but if you go poking around in that pc ground yourself.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
hmm so likely not the actual PC thats creating the static? ill keep in mind when i do open up the PC, if its not going to do any damage while its running and case is closed then. Also, how would i ground myself correctly? totally new to this.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
if your case is metal, you can touch that, if your desk has a metal frame touch that, you want to touch conductive metal, i find that magnetic metals work the best.

they sell grounders that go around your arm and connect to your case.

Soj1337

Prominent
Aug 19, 2022
Thanks I'll consider that when I do fiddle around inside it.

My main concern though is while my pc is running(case closed) am I at risk of damaging my pc as I can feel static round the case while it runs.

I may open it up and check the insides that all cables and connections are fully inserted and not loose.