CPU: Amd Ryzen 3 2200G
GPU: RX580
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Spec-04
PSU: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550
SSD: Kingston 240GB
No HDD
Monitor:AOC E2752SHE

(This is my first PC built, so yeah)
I recently just bought this PC about a week ago. Since the day I received the parts I've built it all, and it appears to turn on but none of the ports work. My keyboard and mouse won't turn on and my monitor gets no signal whatsoever. I've tried removing the cmos battery and putting it back in, trying the one stick of ram I have in all places, rechecking if all the cables are plugged in properly in the right place (quadruple checked) and removed the GPU to see if it could work with integrated graphics. I also made sure all of the parts were compatible including the RAM. But alas, none of this worked. The fans spin, and there appears to be a steady yellow light on the left side of the motherboard under the IO shield. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sounds like a POST issue still, which itself would cause no ports working as PC isn't loading to the UEFI yet, let alone the OS. As pointed out above, the LED could be a Gigabyte POST indicator. Have a Gigabyte ITX myself I may be able to check, though that PC is under construction and a bit older board from 2015. Still sounding that you have a bad component, and with most things removed and issue still there, the board itself is the most likely as you mentioned the RAM being on the QVL.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
The lights on your motherboard usually give you indication of what is going on. Mine starts off by glowing orange (I believe when checking POST) then goes out once the windows boot begins. Check your mobo guide for what the different lights mean on yours... if your mouse/keyboard aren't getting any power through the USB slots I would imagine this means something is failing on startup, doesn't have be the Mobo itself which has the problem I think, just that one of the POST checks fails (but I'm sorry, I am not a hardware expert at all)

Dec 9, 2018
The lights on your motherboard usually give you indication of what is going on. Mine starts off by glowing orange (I believe when checking POST) then goes out once the windows boot begins. Check your mobo guide for what the different lights mean on yours... if your mouse/keyboard aren't getting any power through the USB slots I would imagine this means something is failing on startup, doesn't have be the Mobo itself which has the problem I think, just that one of the POST checks fails (but I'm sorry, I am not a hardware expert at all)

Well, I checked the manual and I'm not finding any information regarding what the lights could mean. The most it told me was that the speaker will issue a beep code if there's a successful boot, but it didn't give me any codes and what they could mean. I don't even have a speaker.

Was worth a look. That said, given what you tried already and that you are powering up, seems a component could be DOA as you aren't passing POST. Try to eliminate every component that isn't required to boot, even disconnecting SSD. Tried using HDMI on a TV even?

Dec 9, 2018
Was worth a look. That said, given what you tried already and that you are powering up, seems a component could be DOA as you aren't passing POST. Try to eliminate every component that isn't required to boot, even disconnecting SSD. Tried using HDMI on a TV even?

Just tried that, nothing appears to have changed at all and the light on the left side is still yellow/orangeish.

Is light always on when powered of, or only when you are trying to boot? A standby power led? Still, at this point it seems like a component is DOA. CPU failures are rare. Does the system stay powered on and just no POST, or does it power cycle? If its staying on, I'd lean towards a bad motherboard at this point.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
At this point you would really want to start removing components 1 by 1 and replacing them with ones you know work, swap out memory, swap out GPU, until the only thing you are are left with is the mobo (and as liquid said, obviously remove anything you can do without). But that obviously isn't always so easy at home. You may be forced to take it to a store to test for you if you can't get the parts yourself.

Like I said on my Gigabyte mobo I get an orangy/yellow light during POST, but as soon as the POST checks are done it goes out completely and start's with the windows boot... for example, one time after cleaning I didn't hook the (I think it was the GPU) back correctly, and then I had the same thing as you, the orangy light would come on but not go out again.

Dec 9, 2018

No, it's only when it's powering on when the light shows. It appears to have no powering on or off problems, just that boot problem and problem with the ports.

Sounds like a POST issue still, which itself would cause no ports working as PC isn't loading to the UEFI yet, let alone the OS. As pointed out above, the LED could be a Gigabyte POST indicator. Have a Gigabyte ITX myself I may be able to check, though that PC is under construction and a bit older board from 2015. Still sounding that you have a bad component, and with most things removed and issue still there, the board itself is the most likely as you mentioned the RAM being on the QVL.

Solution