Newly built pc, Windows is shutting down while playing fortnite.

Feb 28, 2018
Specs:
i5-8400
Zotac GTX 970
Zeppelin 8GB 2400 ram
TUF H310-Plus Gaming
700w PSU

So, when I play fortnite, I will click on the "Start" and when I'm about to go to the "loading island" before the battle bus, my pc will just shut down. I'm assuming this is an overheating issue of my cpu since it's a stock fan than comes with the i5 CPU box, and I just installed it myself, everything is securely locker, I've checked. Also, checked on the GPU's temp, it's 40-45°C. I will try to play LoL if it will happen to while playing that game. And right now, I'll try to save some money by self troubleshooting before taking it to a repair shop.

My gameplay in fortnite is so smooth and it's really frustrating. I also tried to set everything to low, but it's still happening.

Thank you for any suggestions and comments.

Solution

if youre not trying to fry you whole pc dont cheap out on a psu

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Yeah, that's absolute garbage. Get a reputable power supply and see where you are; that power supply has no business being installed in anything you're not trying to set on fire.

Let's put it this way, at Lazada.ph (this particular junk PSU appears to be found in the Philippines) sells that PSU for ₱635. The least expensive PSU they sell that should be put into a PC with a discrete graphics card is ₱3500.

Feb 28, 2018

Yeah, that's what I thought. Which one of these is better?

"Thermaltake Smart RGB 600w 80PLUS APFC Non-Modular Power Supply" for Php2,900

Or

"EVGA 650 BQ 80+ BRONZE 650w Semi Modula Power Supply" for Php4,990

Or

"Corsair VS650" for Php2,940

Or do you have any suggestions? I'm on a budget. So....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The BQ.

But where are you shopping? There may be a better choice for less than ₱5000.

Feb 28, 2018

In www.lazada.com.ph. I'll try to look further.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

if youre not trying to fry you whole pc dont cheap out on a psu

Solution
Feb 28, 2018

I've realized that. I bought my setup as a bundle.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

They have the Corsair CX 550m, one of the more recommendable budget PSUs out there, for ₱4800.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/corsair-cx-series-cx550m-80plus-bronze-i190511073-s240620560.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlistcategory.list.23.2dcb2ea0HJmpcE&search=1

There's also the Seasonic S12/M12 series which goes starts around ₱4000. It's a safe PSU, but it's also an older platform that's group-regulated, so a bit tricky to recommend when the new Corsair CXs are around the same price. But they would get the job done if budget is a concern. Unfortunately, as you probably discovered building the rest of the PC, you get way worse pricing on these things than in the US.

Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for everyone's help. I replaced the PSU, for now, with my 7 yr old psu that's attached to my old pc. It's better. But I will buy a new one and will invest in it since it can burn my whole house if something happens. THANK YOU!!!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Glad you were able to verify your issue so quickly! It's definitely handy to have a spare part or two handy. Best of luck with your rig!