Question Newly built PC won't go long without crashing.

Nov 20, 2019
Greetings,

This is my first post so apologies for any lack of convention. I recently put a PC together thanks to my friends. I got a tower with the mobo, PSU, Ram, and CPU installed by my friend some time ago and a GPU from another friend and I bought an SSD myself.

I got windows and upon booting after install, the computer would crash during the windows set up process. After a shutdown and a day-long wait, I was able to get to desktop but after a restart the computer would keep freezing on the windows startup screen. Sometimes I could move the cursor while the background froze and vice versa.

My friend and I have tried a clean install of windows, installed drivers in safe mode/disable drivers in safe mode. We have taken the GPU out and even checked the ram sticks. Even with a proper install of windows the computer eventually bluescreens or tells me my windows is corrupted. Everything seems fine during install and I have followed proper procedure for installation.

The first start-up in a day usually allows me to use the computer just fine until I restart it.

At this point I want to blame it on the hardware. The issue could be anywhere from the GPU, PCI-E ports, USB ports, to drivers but I doubt it is software related at this point.

My next solution is to use a PSU tester and PCI test and having my more tech-savvy friends pull apart the computer this weekend. If that yields nothing I am considering contacting a PC technician like Geek Squad.

None of these parts are brand-new but they haven't been used until they were given to me except the GPU which the last user never played games with, it was simply hooked up to the motherboard of the last computer.

If any of these symptoms sound familiar to you or if you know my hardware any better, please let me know and give me any advice you feel would be helpful.
Thanks.

Specs:
MB: MSI Z87-G55
CPU: i7 4770k
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 950
SSD: SAMSUNG EVO 1TB.
PSU: Corsair AX850

Last edited: