Newly Built Pc won't turn on...

Chappy_

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hey guys, I recently tried to build a new PC after moving from a Laptop, unfortunately I know nothing about building. So after convincing a friend who had "experience" with building PCs to help me we set out trying to build it, a few mistakes later we had finally assembled the Pc and every thing seemed in the right place. But unfortunately when we plugged it into a power socket it wouldn't turn on. And after trying to look through the different parts on the motherboard to see where we had put in the wrong cables, during this we spotted some problems which we were able to fix but after all this it wouldn't even turn on or do anything. After all this it lead me to believe the power supply was broken so I tried the bridge method and that was fine. I have been fiddling around with the wires now (Carefully) and checking for solutions but it seems all have failed. I have some friends and family who have some knowledge in this area but I'd rather check here just to be sure.

Ohh and here is my part spec:

Cpu: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Thanks

Chappy_

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Thank you for the quick reply, hopefully you could help me with some of these aswell.

Q: Did you carefully read the motherboard owners manual?

A: For the parts we were stuck on.

Q: Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket?

A: Yes 8 pin Power supply for the 8 pin motherboard.

Q: Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard?

A: Came prebuilt in with case.

Q: Did you verify that the video card is fully seated?

A: Yes.

Q: Did you attach ALL the required power connector(s) to the video card?

A: I believe every power connector on the video card has been put in.

Q: Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed?

A: Yes, still didn't turn on.

Q: Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted?

Q: Did you verify in the owners manual that you're using the correct RAM slots?

Q: Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket?

A: I believe it did not come with plastic guard as there was no remove sign on it.

Q: Did you install the CPU correctly?

A: I believe notches were lined up correctly.

Q: Are there any bent pins on the motherboard/CPU?

A: Not which can be seen.

Q: Is the CPU fan plugged in?

Q: If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering?

A: During this my friend idiotically touched the passed on got his thumb print on the material, could this be the problem?

Q: Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it? Are there any wires run directly under the motherboard?

A: Not which can be seen, some screws are a bit tight though.

Q: Did you ensure you discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components?

A: I believe so.

Q: Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs?

A: Yes, also tried reversing with the wires. Still didn't turn on.

Q: Did you turn on the power supply switch located on the back of the PSU?

Q: Is your CPU supported by the BIOS revision installed on your motherboard?

A: Used part picker, I believe they were compatible.

Q: Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

A: No, could this be the problem?

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Reset the cmos and also try turning on the machine by shorting the PWR (power swich) jumper on the motherboard. You will need to remove the front panel plugs off the board to do this. It may be a faulty power switch on the case.

Edit* If your friend did touch the thermal paste it may reduce the effect which may result in higher than normal CPU temps but wont affect booting.

TRENDING THREADS