newly built PC won't turn on

smoke2531

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I just built a new pc and it turned on initially. I installed Windows 10 and set up everything just fine. But then I updated windows defender and in the middle of the update the PC shut off and won't turn back on. Not sure what I should do... Any help would be awesome. Thank you.

Solution

You could have a bad unit (especially if cheap) or simply you didn't ground everything proper (did you check the Mobo mounts to ensure the gap exists, etc.?) or plugged it in and caused it to short. The simpliest test is have the Mobo out of the case, usually on the Mobo box it came in, plugging in just the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, connected with KVM (keyboard video mouse) and...

smoke2531

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Specs:
Intel Core i7 7700k 4.2ghz
coolermaster hyper212 evo
gigabyte GA-H270N Wifi Mini ITX LGA1151 motherboard
gskill ripjaws V-series 16gb ddr4-2400 memory
samsung 850 evo-series 2.5" solid state drive - windows is installed on this
western digital caviar blue 1tb 2.5" 7200rpm
Corsair spec-02 atx-mid tower case
Windows 10 home

Sounds like it shut down from overheating. You did put thermal paste on the CPU before mounting the CoolMaster right ?

Might want to just reseat everything and check. Can be any number of things.

Lesson 1 when building PCs, you just don't plug everything in and then start loading Windows. You 'piecemeal' one PART at a time, power on, check it comes up to BIOS, shut down, plug in next part, repeat repeat repeat. When all parts installed boot to BIOS without any issues and shows those parts AS you expect them to show (i.e. a 1TB Drives doesn't show 200GB available) THEN you go ahead with Windows Install.

Remember building a PC is NOT about getting Windows to work, it is about the hardware.

smoke2531

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Yes I put thermal paste before mounting the coolmaster and the fans were running fine. I will try to reseat everything.

\

smoke2531

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Update: I reseated everything and still not booting up or anything. I tested the power supply with paper clip test and the power supply was not working. Any ideas on how it could have died so quickly? I had the PC working for a whole day and then I update a program and it suddenly shuts off and stops working. So the power source was working, but not anymore.

You could have a bad unit (especially if cheap) or simply you didn't ground everything proper (did you check the Mobo mounts to ensure the gap exists, etc.?) or plugged it in and caused it to short. The simpliest test is have the Mobo out of the case, usually on the Mobo box it came in, plugging in just the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, connected with KVM (keyboard video mouse) and then plug the power connections on and see if it working. Second to that is to do the samething to a KNOWN working system (plug the UPS in question to it) does it work there?

It is easy to get a "false-positive" unless you can prove BEFORE RMA request you tried it on a second system.

Solution