Newly built PC works fine when doing light work but crashes (and gives blue screen error) when ever I run games

Apr 22, 2018
To some it up, finished building my PC 2 weeks ago (specs at bottom), was running fine for the first week, was able to run games like PUBG at 3440 x 1440 at ultra, 60fps, I went away for a week (so my PC was unused) and now that I've come back I keep getting blue screen errors mainly when running games (for more than about 5 minutes), my PC has no problems when doing light work (like browsing the internet, watching videos, etc) and can still play games at ultra settings but within 5 minutes the game either crashes or becomes more and more laggy and then crashes, and I get blue screen errors

The blue screen errors include:
"system service exception"
"page fault in non paged area"
"kernel security check failure"
"attempted to write in readonly memory"
"memory management error"

After I get blue screen errors, my PC has to restart many times and it takes many blue screen erros before I am able to get back onto my desktop again

I have so far:
- Done a "fresh start" of windows through windows defender - before this my PC was also taking 2 - 3 minutes to load up, this eliminated that issue, however, games still crash within 5 minutes of loading up
- Reinstalled my graphics card drivers (and had to install motherboard drivers again after doing a fresh start)
- Done a windows memory diagnostic (however, the 2 times I ran the memory diagnostic before I reinstalled my graphics card drivers I would get a blue screen almost instantly), since reinstalling my graphics card drivers I was able to do a memory diagnostic and no issues were found
- Ran SFC scanner on cmd prompt, no issues were found

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it is painful to see my new build which was working so beautifully before I went away fail on me

specs include: Asus Strix Z370i - mini ITX motherboard, Intel Core i5 8600K @3.6GHz, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM @2400MHz, Asus Strix GTX 1080, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, EVGA 80+ Bronze 600W PSU

Solution
Do you have the latest BIOS as it might be a memory compatibility problem fixed on newer bios

Can you download memtest86 and use it to create a bootable USB. Boot from USB and check each ram stick, one at a time, up to 8 times each stick. Any error higher than zero is too many and could explain your errors. Stick needs to be removed/replaced if you get any errors.

Since its only a new PC, can you go to C:\windows folder
in views, set it to show hidden files and folders
If the MEMORY.dmp file is less than 2gb in size, copy it to another folder like Desktop or Documents
Upload the copy from new location to a file sharing web site and share a link here

If Memory.dmp is bigger than 2gb, Can you follow option one here
and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have the latest BIOS as it might be a memory compatibility problem fixed on newer bios

Can you download memtest86 and use it to create a bootable USB. Boot from USB and check each ram stick, one at a time, up to 8 times each stick. Any error higher than zero is too many and could explain your errors. Stick needs to be removed/replaced if you get any errors.

Since its only a new PC, can you go to C:\windows folder
in views, set it to show hidden files and folders
If the MEMORY.dmp file is less than 2gb in size, copy it to another folder like Desktop or Documents
Upload the copy from new location to a file sharing web site and share a link here

If Memory.dmp is bigger than 2gb, Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Have you run MSI Live Update 6 and seen if it confirms you have the latest drivers? It can be found on Utility page of MSI web site for the motherboard

Solution