Question Newly-built rig not POSTing

Oct 14, 2019
Done everything short of proposing to the thing.

I got a MSI B450 motherboard, and it refused to post. It was mounted to the case by the raised mounting spots in the case itself, so that's out. No screws or anything hanging around.
Used the tester that came with my power supply (EVGA 650 gold plus) and that came out okay. But plugged into the motherboard? No dice. No lights, no beeps, nada. Dead silence.

After pulling everything out in various orders to see if they were causing a short, still the same result. It was sad, but I deemed the motherboard DOA and replaced it.

New motherboard, new lease on my frankenchild's life. Or so I thought. This motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix B450F (felt safer here, Asus has been good to me) and behold, the same problem.

So, either I have to be the unluckiest person in the world to have two DOA motherboards in a row, from across two different brands, or there's something funny going on.

Checked cords and cables over and again. Really have no clue what to do at this point. Help?

Oct 14, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Corsair Spec Alpha case
EVGA 650W Gold Plus power supply
Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I wireless card
Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard
GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU (has built-in cooler)
Samsung Evo 500GB SSD (for boot)
Toshiba X300 Performance 4TB SATA (storage)
Corsair Vengeance x2 8GB RAM

There you have it.

Oct 14, 2019
I'd try another power supply at this point.

Okay. But I wonder if that would mean that my PSU is defective, or I didn't get one strong enough? My wattage should definitely not be exceeding 650 with this equipment.

Another question– Could it be possible that old low-voltage outlets could be the culprit, too?

Okay. But I wonder if that would mean that my PSU is defective, or I didn't get one strong enough? My wattage should definitely not be exceeding 650 with this equipment.

Another question– Could it be possible that old low-voltage outlets could be the culprit, too?
My suspicion is defective. That PSU is not only of great quality but ample amount of wattage for any single gpu solution. The only way you're going to find out is by process of elimination.

Oct 14, 2019
My suspicion is defective. That PSU is not only of great quality but ample amount of wattage for any single gpu solution. The only way you're going to find out is by process of elimination.

Gotcha. If that's actually the case and it's not the mobo, I will only be all too thrilled. This has been a project long in the making, and I don't wanna tempt karma by getting impatient. Heh.

One thing! The PSU is going to be of a different/lesser make, that I will be using to swap out with. Not as strong. My wattage is ~400 at this point, and I am not sure the other PSU will be able to handle that. Or will it still be able to carry the motherboard through POST, at least?

Gotcha. If that's actually the case and it's not the mobo, I will only be all too thrilled. This has been a project long in the making, and I don't wanna tempt karma by getting impatient. Heh.

One thing! The PSU is going to be of a different/lesser make, that I will be using to swap out with. Not as strong. My wattage is ~400 at this point, and I am not sure the other PSU will be able to handle that. Or will it still be able to carry the motherboard through POST, at least?
It will temporarily for testing purposes, but do not place the system under any kind of load.

TRENDING THREADS