Newly built system hanging/freezing constantly

eyanosa

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
Specs:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wVVN6X

Issue:

Rebuilt my entire system on 9/6. Looking at my above specs, the only stuff I did not replace was my case, psu, and ssd (though ssd is less than a year old). Since then, I have not had much luck with this computer. It seems to randomly decide to freeze, though not a full freeze. First, whatever program I am using will stop responding, shortly followed by explorer. Alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, etc etc do not work. The only way to get out of it is to press the reset button. Also, the reason I say it is not a full freeze is because my mouse continues to work without issue, though the cursor does turn into a rotating circle. This does not matter what I am doing. I could be playing a game, watching streams, browsing the internet, or in bed (I've woken up to a locked up system 4 times already).

Anyways, here are the steps I have taken to try and resolve this;

■ Check all drivers;
    ■ Update any drivers that needed updating (this included updating BIOS);
    ■ Checked and updated windows;
    ■ Verified cpu/gpu is not overheating;
    ■ Ran MemTest86, verified error free;
    ■ Underclocked system to see if instability caused by that;
    ■ Ran sfc, returned clear
    ■ Refreshed windows install (kept all installed programs option);
    ■ Turned off all non-essential start-up programs (including those within Task Scheduler);
    ■ Ran a deep anti-virus scan;
    ■ I have even tried moving my memory around, using less, and even tried other sticks from a system that does not freeze;

Any help you all can provide would be very much appreciated. If there is any other information that you might need to assist me with this, please don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT:

The really weird part about this is that I built 2 (almost) identical systems on the 6th. Mine is doing this psuedo freezing while my partners computer is not. The only difference between our systems is psu, graphics card, and cpu cooling option (mine is water cooled, his uses the Noctua NH-D9L).

eyanosa

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
The BIOS was just updated two days ago, as per list #2. I used the Asus EZ Flash system through the BIOS. As far as PSU goes, Speccy is showing me this;

Voltage
+5V 5.160 V
+3.3V 3.440 V
+12V 12.288 V
VIN3 0.864 V
VIN4 1.856 V
VCORE 1.808 V

PSU is not my forte, so I am not sure if those readings are good or not. BTW, that is while idle.

Software voltage readings are not accurate for many reasons... I could go on for several paragraphs but we'll leave it at "please grab a multimeter."

So, if the power supply has an extra Molex connector, then just measure the voltages there. It's okay to hook a multimeter up to a power connector while the machine is running. I do this all the time with all types of power supplies and it's never caused a problem. Please note that the "COMM" pins on the Molex connector are 12V grounds. Connect the positive lead from the multimeter to either the +12V or +5V pins and put the negative lead to one of the COMM pins.

As for the multimeter, a setting of anywhere from 15 to 25 DC volts should work.

Hopefully, the 12V rail is between 11.7V and 12.3V, and the 5V rail is between 4.85V and 5.15V.

Test while the system is at idle and while it is under load.

eyanosa

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
Had to run to the store to get a multimeter as I did not have one. Anyways, at 20v the yellow wire is reading at 12.01 and the red wire is reading 4.93. Oh, forgot the other part. That is while idle and while under load, the multimeter readings remain the same.

eyanosa

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
Brand new Windows install. Since I was going from AMD to Intel, figured it would be best. Also, I had to switch from Enterprise LTSB to Edu Pro in Windows 10 as LTSB does not do 1607 and the current nVidia drivers would not work on it (I was using LTSB to avoid Cortana, Edu does the same). The switch meant I had to reinstall Windows 10 twice.

As far as the Xion PSU goes, I picked it because it was glowy and fully modular. Though I do eventually plan to switch to a new Corsair RM PSU as soon as I can afford to (I just spent $5k upgrading 2 computers to Intel, so it will take a bit).