Newly built system having random complete power losses + freezing

JamezL

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Hello good people,

Have a newly built system (almost 2 months old) having random complete power losses and full freezes.

System Specs:

Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi
Ryzen 7 2700X
G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZR Trident Z RGB 16gb (2 x 8)
Corsair HX850i
Radeon RX480 (this is the only part that is from my last build)

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the GPU thats at fault.

From testing the system, it runs fine under stress. Have stress tested the GPU, CPU and RAM and cannot get the problem to crop up (this is why its such a random issue).

Monitored temps, they seems to be fine.

The problem, as mentioned, is completely random. It does either one of two things:

Completely loses all power. To the point where I have to cycle the PSU to get power back to the system.

The other problem is that it will completely freeze the system. Everything on the screen stays as is, system still running, but just not responsive even if I leave it for awhile to see if it comes back.

Cannot narrow it down to it being task based as it happens both when idling and under load (such as gaming).

I'm unable to swap parts out to narrow down the issue through process of elimination just yet - planning on taking it round to a mates place who has all the spare parts.

I guess my question is, can a faulty graphics card cause these two types of problems? Or would it more likely be something else?

Thanks in advance