Question Newly built system (Ryzen-2700X) OC-s by itself??

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Hello guys,

We've just built my friend his first good computer, and we have an unknown issue with it.
The pc contains:
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1650S O4G GAMING
HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200Mhz
ASUS ROG STRIX b450-f GAMING
WD GREEN 240DB sata m.2 ssd
KOLINK HORIZON RGB case
and the AMD RYZEN 2700X CPU - with stock wraith prism cooler

Everything is fine, win10 installed, games run at expected performance rates, but there's this one thing that bothers me.
The CPU is running constantly at 4.2 GHZ (monitored by NZXT CAM) while we never intended to overclock it while he has the stock cooler for the cpu.
In the bios, I enabled DOCP profile to get the RAM to 3200mhz, still the bios says, cpu clock speed is 3700mhz, and also it says "target ram speed: 3200mhz, target cpu clock speed: 3700mhz"
Still according to CAM it runs constantly on 4,2ghz, and I'm not gonna lie, it's very hot.
We would like to take the clock down to the default 3700mhz to get safer thermals, what can we do?
there's no overclockign software downloaded to the PC, it was a compeletly new windows install.

Ps: also don't buy a kolink rgb case, you can't control the fan speed(constant 100% fans) and the front glass kills the airflow

Last edited:

Starcruiser

Honorable
It's not technically overclocking, it's designed to do that. Your definition of "very hot" would be what exactly? It's designed to run up to about 85 Celsius.
With the stock cooler on the X model I would expect up to 50-55 idle. I would only recommend water cooling on those.

Last edited:

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
It's not technically overclocking, it's designed to do that. Your definition of "very hot" would be what exactly? It's designed to run up to about 85 Celsius.
With the stock cooler on the X model I would expect up to 50-55 idle. I would only recommend water cooling on those.
I didn't know that it does it by itself lol, so ok then.
This PC is my friend's and it's my first time encountering an AMD chip, and I togught that 55c idle was very hidh and not healthy. His pc runs around 60-75c when on load. So I guess that's normal
The cooler fan's loud af tho, a bit annoying. I guess when a fan's doing 3000rpm you can't not hear it

Starcruiser

Honorable
Some better ventilation might be in order to help with the temperatures, but that's fairly normal. That CPU is a monster and you can expect a lot of heat from it. That's why I only recommend water cooling them.
It's designed to "boost" up to 4.3 GHz when you're running tasks with fewer threads like web browsing. It will park the unneeded cores to save power and heat and automatically boost the cores in use. It will only boost as high as the BIOS deems safe for the current temperature and load.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
That's why I only recommend water cooling them.
It's designed to "boost" up to 4.3 GHz when you're running tasks with fewer threads like web browsing. It will park the unneeded cores to save power and heat and automatically boost the cores in use. It will only boost as high as the BIOS deems safe for the current temperature and load.

As Starcruiser said these CPUs boost on their own. They are dynamic and these are their typical characteristics. Yes they run hotter, but they can run at 80c all day and they really wouldn't care. Another thing is they boost so frequently that your CPU fan can not only be loud, but can get annoying since the fan curve doesn't stay at a constant speed, but each CPU varies. Thats why water cooling is highly recommended. A large CPU air cooler also does the job. But if the temps worry you and your friend he can always set the power plan to Power Saver when he is just doing normal tasks, and turn Ryzen Balanced or Performance on when he is gaming.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't know that it does it by itself lol, so ok then.
This PC is my friend's and it's my first time encountering an AMD chip, and I togught that 55c idle was very hidh and not healthy. His pc runs around 60-75c when on load. So I guess that's normal
The cooler fan's loud af tho, a bit annoying. I guess when a fan's doing 3000rpm you can't not hear it
Idle temps are really important, what are your max load temps?