Newly built system - Some awful bottle neck, but what is it?

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
I have just built a system today, everything went fine, I've built 100+ systems, its put together properly. However, there is some issue that I am overlooking relative to reduced frame rates in games.

I am getting ~25 fps in 75% of my games with no more than 30% GPU usage. Games ive tried are Rust, Saints Row 4, and Arma 3. On my laptop, with a GTX970M, I get solid 60FPS in these games, difference being that the laptop is 1080p, and this rig is doing 1440p.

Here is the rig

5820K @ 4.2 - 1.25V w/ H60
EVGA GTX980 @ 1350Mhz - reference cooler
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 Mobo
Adata XPG Z1 8GB (2x4GB) 2133
Adata SP600 128GB with os on it
WD 1TB Green for games ( this could be the bottle, being that it is a green.)
CoolerMaster V1000

This is extremely frustrating, I hope someone can provide some input.

If you are still reading - I know Rust is poorly optimized, however on good fresh servers you can still get 60FPS, thats what I am doing on my 970M and the 980. On arma 3, in editor and fresh wasteland servers you always get 60FPS easily, but not my my rig for some reason.

Solution
OC'd already on Day 1, huh? I didn't wait much longer myself in my recent upgrade :) Anyways, just for the obvious. UEFI updated? Temps all in check? I would reset OC on both CPU and 980 back to stock clocks to figure out the problem first. Also, here's a link to someone with a 980 and having the same problem in Arma 3 http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2455881/slow-gtx-980.html Driver problem perhaps? Also for HDD theory, I'm doubtful that's the problem. I've read into this at some point, and it seems that other than level loads/game launches, there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance all other things being the same. This was from a few years ago, so things may have changed somewhat since then. Still...
OC'd already on Day 1, huh? I didn't wait much longer myself in my recent upgrade :) Anyways, just for the obvious. UEFI updated? Temps all in check? I would reset OC on both CPU and 980 back to stock clocks to figure out the problem first. Also, here's a link to someone with a 980 and having the same problem in Arma 3 http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2455881/slow-gtx-980.html Driver problem perhaps? Also for HDD theory, I'm doubtful that's the problem. I've read into this at some point, and it seems that other than level loads/game launches, there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance all other things being the same. This was from a few years ago, so things may have changed somewhat since then. Still shouldn't be 30% usage though. Any other cards around to try other than 980?

Solution

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

I have not updated the UEFI, temps are all in check. And yeah the green shouldn't be the issue. The only other card I have around is a GTX460, which might not be of much help. Ill go over a couple of the things you said, they are good ideas.

Additional info: In Valley, i get pinned at 99% usage, which is good. So i know my 980 will do it, under the right circumstance.

imlose

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
I upgraded the mobo to UEFI v6 and that totally fixed my FPS issue. However, now, my rig fails to boot every time the first time, and reverts my OC settings each time and its so damn annoying. I turn it on, it posts, then resets, then goes all the way into windows. I know it is not because of the OC, because it does it at factory defaults too.

That is odd. Tried removing the battery/removing from AC power? I've read that resetting to factory from within BIOS/UEFI may not always "clear" everything correctly. Also, maybe try flashing to F5 to see if it's a UEFI bug for your particular motherboard. It's only a month or so older than version F6. Not sure what version you were on before upgrading to F6.