[SOLVED] Newly Built System Won't Turn On

nsullivan304

Honorable
Aug 28, 2017
I recently assembled a PC for my girlfriend and have been having some trouble getting it to turn on. This is the second computer that I've built so I do, to an extent, know what I'm doing. I've ensured that the front panel connectors and properly attached, and in the right locations. My 24 pin and my 8 pin power are both connected. I have an m.2 installed and a hdd connected via sata. My cpu is installed properly and the RAM is also correctly inserted. The graphics card is installed and has its 8 pin power cable connected. I thought it might be the front panel connectors so I unplugged and replugged those just to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes, that didnt work, so I did the paperclip test on my PSU to see if that was the issue, however it turned on and the fan started spinning so I know that isn't the issue. Just to clarify my issue, when I push the power button on the front of the case, the computer does not turn on, no fans spin, theres no bios screen of any sort. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Parts:
MB: Gigabyte b460m d3sh
CPU: Core i3 10100f
RAM: 2x16gb 3000mhz
GPU: RX 580
PSU: Seasonic 500w

Last edited:
Solution
  1. Check the cable connections again just to make sure.
  2. Check if any critical cable is damaged.
  3. Remove the CPU from the socket and check the pins on the motherboard for potential damage.
  4. Reseat GPU, search for damage on the pcie slot.
  5. Reseat the RAM sticks.Search for damage.
  6. Make sure if your motherboard's trying to POST...Some models have LEDs that show you what's happening...Read the manual and find out.
  7. Since the fans don't spin, we have a lead on the motherboard and the PSU, but the only way to be 100% sure is to check every part individually, on a different system.
  8. If you find out that the motherboard's trying to POST but it fails constantly and every other part is working properly on other systems...

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
  1. Check the cable connections again just to make sure.
  2. Check if any critical cable is damaged.
  3. Remove the CPU from the socket and check the pins on the motherboard for potential damage.
  4. Reseat GPU, search for damage on the pcie slot.
  5. Reseat the RAM sticks.Search for damage.
  6. Make sure if your motherboard's trying to POST...Some models have LEDs that show you what's happening...Read the manual and find out.
  7. Since the fans don't spin, we have a lead on the motherboard and the PSU, but the only way to be 100% sure is to check every part individually, on a different system.
  8. If you find out that the motherboard's trying to POST but it fails constantly and every other part is working properly on other systems, then reset CMOS and update the BIOS.

Solution