Newly Discovered Variants Of Meltdown/Spectre Exploit Cache Coherency Across Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Now that security researchers are focusing on side-channel style attacks, I bet these are only the tip of the iceberg for architectural side-channel discoveries and we'll likely see more of those as the research field expands to more architectures and more aspects of each of them.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Was it forgotten? I remember reading that Intel was initially skeptical of it, but I've since seen thread QoS and isolation features go into server CPUs I thought were intended to mitigate against it.

Feb 15, 2018
BIT_USER, I said that in regard to the previous comment because they seemed to be under the impression that we were only just beginning to take side-channel attacks in CPU designs seriously. You are absolutely correct in that Colin's particular exploit has long since been remedied in hardware. I was merely using it as an example of how exploits like this are not really all that new, just far more sophisticated than their predecessors.

InvalidError

Titan

I know side-channel attacks aren't new, some people have also made side-channel attacks by monitoring power draw and EMI from chips too. Nearly 15 years between significant architecturally exploitable side-channels however is a surprisingly long time between discoveries for bugs that have been there all along, hence my impression that research in that direction landed on the back-burner for much of that time.

Now that the spotlight has been brought back onto them with Spectre, Meltdown and a new set of closely variants thereof mere months after the original disclosures, AMD, Intel and ARM have the whole security community scrutinizing their instruction set and architecture for new security holes to a likely unprecedented degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.