Question Newly installed HDD keeps shutting off my laptop

Feb 7, 2022
I have an Acer Aspire E15 laptop. I recently installed an HDD (WD Blue 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPVX). I created a new volume in the disk management settings and got the HDD to become recognized on my computer. I was told I didn't need to partition it.

I basically followed this guy's instruction exactly .

except I didn't install a new SSD and I created the HDD drive in G drive instead of the default E drive, because I run an external HDD that is on E drive already. I also installed an additional 8GB of RAM now I have 16GB of RAM.

I tried disconnecting the external HDD I already have, but the new internal HDD I installed still keeps crashing my laptop. I've since removed the internal HDD and now my laptop runs fine. Does anyone know what's causing it to crash?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The video doesn't work for me. As for you laptop, are you able to get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? As for your ram upgrade, did you add a stick off the shelf which isn't the same make and model of your existing stick of ram or is it an identical stick of ram? What OS are you working with? Did you reinstall the OS onto the new HDD?

Feb 7, 2022
Well I installed an additional internal HDD so I could have more storage space in my laptop. I've since removed the internal HDD because my laptop kept crashing. The laptop was running a little bit better afterwards, then it froze again, so I removed the 8GB of RAM I installed as well, and now my laptop seems to be running normally so far. The new 8GB of RAM I installed IS NOT THE SAME MAKE AND MODEL as the 8GB of RAM that came with the laptop when I purchased the laptop, so maybe that is what is causing my laptop to freeze up and shut down?

I am running windows 10.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022
It's the RAM. Ever since I removed the RAM the laptop runs fine. I even installed the secondary HDD into the laptop again and it works fine. There must be something wrong with the RAM or the way it was installed. When I installed the RAM it touches a little wire that connects to something else. The laptop can read the RAM when I checked the computer properties in C drive. It said I have 16GB, I originally had 8GB until I installed the new 8GB RAM. I have an Acer Aspire E 15 ES-576G-5762. The RAM I bought:

Timetec 8GB DDR3L / DDR3 1600MHz (DDR3L-1600) PC3L-12800 / PC3-12800(PC3L-12800S) Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.35V/1.5V CL11 2Rx8 Dual Rank 204 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook PC Computer Memory RAM Module Upgrade

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145WDNI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It say's it's compatible with my laptop according to the questions and answers section for this amazon product

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS