[SOLVED] Newly installed M. 2 drive being slow

Dec 8, 2019
After a mishap I had to get new drive for my pc so I opted to get a 1 TB M.2 drive. My only experience with these drives is the royal pain in the rear it was to fix the mix up upon installing the one my husband has. I figured this time I wouldn't have that issue as this would be the only drive in the system with a fresh install.

So presently my game starts to slow down, I wouldn't call it lag as it does't appear to be ping related. It's almost like it starts to just run slow? Also chrome appears to be loading and running a bit on the slow side for some reason as well. I've had Discord crash a few times due to some sort of audio error but I don't think that is connected to the slow running issue.. but I wanted to list it just in case.

What do I need to look into to go about trouble shooting this drive? Again I've never worked with them before so I'm not sure what I'm looking for here.

Solution
Do you have anything plugged into the SATA ports? If so, make sure you connect the SATA devices in the proper port order, e.g. SATA device 1 plugged into SATA port 1, etc. If you have six SATA ports and the SATA device is plugged into port 6, it will cause interference in the SATA channels. A M.2 port uses the last two SATA channels. Two M.2 devices will use the last four SATA channels.
not every mothorboard the same. just because your does. stop posting the same response

in this mobo
*2 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

*3 When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operatin in PCIe 3.0 x4 mode, SATA ports 5 and...
After a mishap I had to get new drive for my pc so I opted to get a 1 TB M.2 drive. My only experience with these drives is the royal pain in the rear it was to fix the mix up upon installing the one my husband has. I figured this time I wouldn't have that issue as this would be the only drive in the system with a fresh install.

So presently my game starts to slow down, I wouldn't call it lag as it does't appear to be ping related. It's almost like it starts to just run slow? Also chrome appears to be loading and running a bit on the slow side for some reason as well. I've had Discord crash a few times due to some sort of audio error but I don't think that is connected to the slow running issue.. but I wanted to list it just in case.

What do I need to look into to go about trouble shooting this drive? Again I've never worked with them before so I'm not sure what I'm looking for here.
I would start with Crystal diskmark and see what speeds you get. It should also have a health status for the drive.

Please list full system specs.

Dec 8, 2019
Pretty sure I had installed the drivers, but I'll try that as well. I wasn't sure what all I needed and didn't need to install and the instructions cover everything in detail minus the drivers in the booklet.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do you have anything plugged into the SATA ports? If so, make sure you connect the SATA devices in the proper port order, e.g. SATA device 1 plugged into SATA port 1, etc. If you have six SATA ports and the SATA device is plugged into port 6, it will cause interference in the SATA channels. A M.2 port uses the last two SATA channels. Two M.2 devices will use the last four SATA channels.

Dec 8, 2019
No other drives are plugged in. I made sure of it, they were failing is why I even got a new drive to begin with. I had learned what you posted when installing my husband's new drive some time ago and wanted to avoid doing that again.

rgd1101

Don't
not every mothorboard the same. just because your does. stop posting the same response

in this mobo
*2 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

*3 When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operatin in PCIe 3.0 x4 mode, SATA ports 5 and 6 will be disabled.

Solution