New specs:
⁃ ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F motherboard
⁃ AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor
⁃ 16 Gb Corsair DDR4 Ram
⁃ Nvidia GTX 1070
⁃ EVGA 600w Bronze
⁃ 2 tb WD blue hard drive
⁃ 250 gb Samsung evo ssd

No problems with this before new hardware.
I installed all parts into a new case with the hard drive and ssd that I used in my old build, full bootable windows 10 on the hard drive. First startup worked perfectly fine, pc automatically started downloading something called ASUS GRID it popped up in a dialog box on the desktop with a progress bar but when finished just disappeared w no program to open left behind. Proceeded to launch some games and test them, they worked fine. I ended up playing a certain game with a friend for a few hours and then when I finally closed the game to go to bed, my pc froze and shutoff, I was unable to fully boot it back up that night. Next day, pc turns on fine— CPU temperature reading at around 215 degrees Fahrenheit— I play a game for a few hours then close the game to go to work, it freezes and shuts off, I do not attempt to turn back on... I get back from work later that night and try to power on, it turns on, gets past the “initial boot” with the ASUS logo, then it gets to the windows logo on a black screen with a loading circle, then a fully black screen with just a loading circle, and then freezes and shuts off (no signal to monitors, LED on mouse and keyboard go off, all lights and fans in pc stay on... requires held power button to turn off.) This is where I’m currently stuck, sometimes after the windows logo, I get a blue screen saying the windows did not launch properly with some advanced settings or the option to restart the pc. Pc is able to launch in safe mode! Because of the cpu temps reading at very high, I replaced the thermal paste, temps read at 40 degrees in BIOS now. I am unsure of what the problem could be but my best guess is that it’s not a hardware issue, maybe a drivers issue or windows installation issue. I have been unsuccessful in trying to reset my pc as sometime during the “installing windows” process it shuts off.

Solution
Yes, I’ve already reapplied the thermal paste, I think the heat sink came with way too much on it. Cpu runs at 40C in BIOS now, but I can’t see how it handles under load because I can’t boot it.

Edit: Is it possible that the cpu could have been permanently damaged from overheating?
Those are supposed to throttle before they get too hot, but the temp you reported would be far beyond that point. However, I have read that AMD sets those Ryzens to report temps higher than they actually are, so it may not have been quite that hot.

So, with the temp under control (we hope) are you still getting the same shutoff with the Windows 10 installer? A shutuff is about what a system would be doing if speed adjustments did not stop a CPU from...

DSzymborski

Titan
You appear to have at least two problems, one of which you appear to have resolved.

But you get into the weeds in your very first sentence.

"I installed all parts into a new case with the hard drive and ssd that I used in my old build, full bootable windows 10 on the hard drive."

That is not best practice. Windows 10 will try to sort everything out on new hardware, but the best practice is to always do a full wipe and reinstall. Even when it does appear to work, you can find random problems for the next year. Windows is not designed to be a modular operating system in this fashion; it's more like a heart transplant than moving your credit cards from your old wallet to your new wallet.

The exception is if you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install (found only in Enterprise and Win10 Education), but if you had that, you'd definitely know it as it's not something you'd have by accident.

You don't reinstall Windows properly by "reset my PC," you do it by using Microsoft's Windows Media Creation tool and making an installation flash drive, and then booting to that flash drive upon startup.

Jan 2, 2020
You appear to have at least two problems, one of which you appear to have resolved.

But you get into the weeds in your very first sentence.

"I installed all parts into a new case with the hard drive and ssd that I used in my old build, full bootable windows 10 on the hard drive."

That is not best practice. Windows 10 will try to sort everything out on new hardware, but the best practice is to always do a full wipe and reinstall. Even when it does appear to work, you can find random problems for the next year. Windows is not designed to be a modular operating system in this fashion; it's more like a heart transplant than moving your credit cards from your old wallet to your new wallet.

The exception is if you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install (found only in Enterprise and Win10 Education), but if you had that, you'd definitely know it as it's not something you'd have by accident.

You don't reinstall Windows properly by "reset my PC," you do it by using Microsoft's Windows Media Creation tool and making an installation flash drive, and then booting to that flash drive upon startup.

So, I created a bootable windows installation usb off of a laptop I had laying around, but I can’t use that either, as my pc automatically freezes and shuts off after a certain amount of time.

Jan 2, 2020
Newly installed motherboard, cpu, ram.
New specs:
⁃ ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F motherboard
⁃ AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor
⁃ 16 Gb Corsair DDR4 Ram
⁃ Nvidia GTX 1070
⁃ EVGA 600w Bronze
⁃ 2 tb WD blue hard drive
⁃ 250 gb Samsung evo ssd

No problems with this before new hardware.
I installed all parts into a new case with the hard drive and ssd that I used in my old build, full bootable windows 10 on the hard drive. First startup worked perfectly fine, pc automatically started downloading something called ASUS GRID it popped up in a dialog box on the desktop with a progress bar but when finished just disappeared w no program to open left behind. Proceeded to launch some games and test them, they worked fine. I ended up playing a certain game with a friend for a few hours and then when I finally closed the game to go to bed, my pc froze and shutoff, I was unable to fully boot it back up that night. Next day, pc turns on fine— CPU temperature reading at around 215 degrees Fahrenheit— I play a game for a few hours then close the game to go to work, it freezes and shuts off, I do not attempt to turn back on... I get back from work later that night and try to power on, it turns on, gets past the “initial boot” with the ASUS logo, then it gets to the windows logo on a black screen with a loading circle, then a fully black screen with just a loading circle, and then freezes and shuts off (no signal to monitors, LED on mouse and keyboard go off, all lights and fans in pc stay on... requires held power button to turn off.) This is where I’m currently stuck, sometimes after the windows logo, I get a blue screen saying the windows did not launch properly with some advanced settings or the option to restart the pc. Pc is able to launch in safe mode! Because of the cpu temps reading at very high, I replaced the thermal paste, temps read at 40 degrees in BIOS now. I am unsure of what the problem could be but my best guess is that it’s not a hardware issue, maybe a drivers issue or windows installation issue. I have been unsuccessful in trying to reset my pc as sometime during the “installing windows” process it shuts off.

Update: It’s impossible to do a fresh install of windows due to it shutting off during the installation. After it does so I’ve noticed that the mother board has a blinking orange LED, again, all the fans and lights in the case stay on, but nothing displayed on monitor.

I’ve tried all other slots with just one stick of with the same result.

A 2700x should have support on that board since the first BIOS. I suspect that at least part of the issue is temp. 215 F is 101 C, which is WAY to hot for a 2700x. 85 C is the max safe temp for that CPU. Get some thermal paste and re-apply the CPU heatsink.

Jan 2, 2020
A 2700x should have support on that board since the first BIOS. I suspect that at least part of the issue is temp. 215 F is 101 C, which is WAY to hot for a 2700x. 85 C is the max safe temp for that CPU. Get some thermal paste and re-apply the CPU heatsink.

Yes, I’ve already reapplied the thermal paste, I think the heat sink came with way too much on it. Cpu runs at 40C in BIOS now, but I can’t see how it handles under load because I can’t boot it.

Edit: Is it possible that the cpu could have been permanently damaged from overheating?

Those are supposed to throttle before they get too hot, but the temp you reported would be far beyond that point. However, I have read that AMD sets those Ryzens to report temps higher than they actually are, so it may not have been quite that hot.

So, with the temp under control (we hope) are you still getting the same shutoff with the Windows 10 installer? A shutuff is about what a system would be doing if speed adjustments did not stop a CPU from overheating. In that even, you may want to contact AMD about an RMA.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know.
What came to mind when I brought it up was better memory compatibility with a newer bios.

EDIT: Oh wow, I completely missed the reported temperature.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS