Newly installed radeon hd 6670 drivers constantly crashing.

insouciantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Just bought a new radeon hd 6670 and a new 500w psu from futureshop. psu installed fine.
I installed my new video card, all excited go to run counterstrike, and it crashes. My computer will freeze for a moment, unfreeze, and i get a "driver has crashed and fixed" in the bottom right corner. If I try to run any game, or run the visualization on winamp, etc, I get this error, or sometimes a bsod. I also get it sometimes while just browsing my computer/internet. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest drivers several times. I tried using driversweeper as well. This hasn't worked. What's the problem here?

insouciantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. They seem to be doing a bit better now, managed to get counter strike running for 5 minutes, left four dead crashed right away, winamp visualization was working

insouciantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
"warnings occured during installation" the drivers crashed during install. come to think of it, I think this happened when I installed the others as well. log:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
10/29/11 15:32:14

Hardware information
Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0x6758
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xe194
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1092
Other hardware
Existing packages
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
AMD APP SDK Runtime
AMD Display Driver
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install Manager
Final Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.847.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD APP SDK Runtime
Version of Item: 2.5.775.2
Size: 90 Mbytes
AMD Display Driver
Version of Item: 8.901.2.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
HDMI/DP Audio Driver
Version of Item: 7.12.0.7702
Size: 1 Mbytes
AVIVO
Version of Item: 11.7.0.11016
Size: 3 Mbytes
HydraVision
Version of Item: 4.2.216.0
Size: 6 Mbytes
AMD Media Foundation Decoders
Version of Item: 1.0.61016.2208
Size: 1 Mbytes
Catalyst Control Center
Version of Item: 2011.1016.2228.38487
Size: 150 Mbytes

Other detected devices
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0xaa90
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa90
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1092

Error messages

insouciantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
my old geforce 5600 works fine. I don't believe it's the card because searching for a solution to the problem I've found many people have had similar issues, but I haven't found a solution yet for my particular case

RaikohNL

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I have the same problems with my HD6670...it all started when i installed 'WoW' he kept crashing on the directx 11 prefs in the graphics menu...i can't get Fall-out 3 to work...Bad Company 2 i have start-up 6 times before it works :S in some other old games the shaders are really weird (not always there and random spawns of light)

updated everything, reïnstalled drivers etc etc...the last thing i'm going to try is backclock my Ati card with Asus Smartdoctor. Sometimes i could be the problem that your graph clock speed is not in sync with you processor clock.. (maybe rumours)

I can't see much problems in downgrading the clock speed a bit just to see if it works.

But the only strange part is that my ati card always workt fine (before installing that blasted game)

snipertiger

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Same problem Here...
so RaiKohNL and insouciantsoul ... you found a solution for this problem or should I replace the card or what??

I've tried almost everything..except my PSU..I have a Coolermaster 400W. Do I need to change it ? :(

JackCasanova

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Ok so, i bought the same 6670 radeon, and same issues. It crahsed every once in a while.
But after getting very frustrated, i found a solution.

So this is a trick, i doesnt not solve like the core problem, but it will definately help ya a lot!

SOLUTION ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SOLUTION:
Go to ur AMD Catalyst Control Center.
Go to the Performance tab.
Click Enable Graphics Overdirve.
Put ur GPU clock setting to the minimum (500Mhz).

Now go ahead an have fun!

Btw, to check if it actually worked, change from minimum graphcis requirements to max graphcis requiremetns in the game that ur playing. Well this works for me, and I love it. Eventhough yeah... u dont get the most out of ur card. At least u can use it.

If this works for ya, try to change the GPU value to maybe 550 mhz, and then to 600Mhz and so forth. Till before ur computer crashes again. GL!