[SOLVED] newly introduced to OCing, how much can i expect out of an 8700k? (specs included)

Dec 21, 2018
hey guys so i ordered a PC (expected to come in by monday) with an intent of overclocking, at least mildly because i've never done so before. I don't have it yet so i cant post screenshots or any information, im just sort-of asking for GENERAL recommendations/estimates on how high i should overclock both my CPU and GPU, since i'm aware my cooling isn't the greatest i want to ask people that know more about overclocking than i do, to avoid damaging something since ultimately i want to use this computer for gaming over a long period of time, keeping it stable and healthy

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151

CPU Cooling: 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler

(CASE FAN): DUAL ADDRESSABLE DIGITAL RGB 120MM FAN

HDD: 240GB SSD

HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) HDD

MEMORY: 32GB DDR4-2400MHZ MEMORY

MOTHERBOARD: Z370 HD3 ATX USB 3.1 SATA3 1 M.2 CROSSFIRE

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Power Supply

VIDEO: GeForce® RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready]

Again, very very very newly introduced to overclocking and how it works, wouldn't want to risk anything myself with such little knowledge so i just want to know, with this config, how much i should be expecting to (SAFELY) overclock the cpu AND gpu once the pc comes in. Thank you!

Solution
Based on your system's specs, I really don't think the stock liquid cooler is going to be enough for any substantial overclock of the cpu at all.
If you have to continue using that cooler, you might be able to get up to 4.0 Ghz. Keep in mind that when you run Prime95 version 26.6 test your temperature will shoot up really high. Pay attention to the temp and lower the clock speed if it's above 85C.

Now if you can afford a difference cooler (preferably one with at least 280mm radiator if you still wanna go with liquid cooling) then you will be able to overclock your cpu even more. Ideally I don't see any problem with getting to 5.0 Ghz at less than 1.35 Vcore.

Just keep in mind that when running stress test your temp should always...

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Based on your system's specs, I really don't think the stock liquid cooler is going to be enough for any substantial overclock of the cpu at all.
If you have to continue using that cooler, you might be able to get up to 4.0 Ghz. Keep in mind that when you run Prime95 version 26.6 test your temperature will shoot up really high. Pay attention to the temp and lower the clock speed if it's above 85C.

Now if you can afford a difference cooler (preferably one with at least 280mm radiator if you still wanna go with liquid cooling) then you will be able to overclock your cpu even more. Ideally I don't see any problem with getting to 5.0 Ghz at less than 1.35 Vcore.

Just keep in mind that when running stress test your temp should always stay below 80C (although theoretically it can handle more than that, you don't wanna push it to its limit).

Solution