[SOLVED] Newly Upgraded CPU Restarts Under Gaming Load

Nov 23, 2019
Hi, so here are my specs:
MOBO: ASRock Pro4 x570 (latest BIOS + sata drivers)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 C16 (XMP/DOCP Enabled)
GFX: Asus ROG STRIX 1080 8GB (latest drivers)
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Samsung 850 500GB

I just upgraded everything but the SSD and GFX card (I was using it in previous build worked totally fine) But from the moment I installed my new AMD Ryzen 5 3600x it would constantly restart my computer during 2-5 minutes into gaming. I monitored temps and they are totally fine. I've checked event viewer and found Kernel Event 55:
Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle (C) States (2 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control
Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3600
Maximum performance percentage: 126
Minimum performance percentage: 58
Minimum throttle percentage: 14

Processor 1 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Maximum performance percentage: 130

Processor 2 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Maximum performance percentage: 130

Processor 3 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Maximum performance percentage: 119

Processor 4 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Maximum performance percentage: 116

Processor 5 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Maximum performance percentage: 123

It's weird because this happens only when I start playing games. (I have tried using a different GPU still restarts) I've replaced every part except the CPU leading me to believe I have a bad chip somehow. Pins are 100% good + reseated cooler. I've also tried 2 different sets of ram sticks + tried to isolate ram sticks + I've tried running ram at different speeds, underclocked GPU, underclocked CPU still restarts. Clean installed Windows about 5 times. Starting to think my outlet is not giving enough amperage? I've also tried using different wall outlets. Given up at this point going to return and exchange my Ryzen 3600x, was just wondering if anyone had this issue or can explain the event view log in depth, thank you.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 common fixes for event 55.

First is increasing the size of the pagefile in windows. Don't know if that'd be an issue with 16Gb of ram.

Second is checking drive health. Many times it's a software glitch caused by failure on a drive leading to conflicts. You say you've replaced everything except gpu and drives, but did that include a fresh clean install of Windows, gpu drivers and motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard support website.

First is increasing the size of the pagefile in windows. Don't know if that'd be an issue with 16Gb of ram.

Second is checking drive health. Many times it's a software glitch caused by failure on a drive leading to conflicts. You say you've replaced everything except gpu and drives, but did that include a fresh clean install of Windows, gpu drivers and motherboard chipset drivers from the motherboard support website.
Pagefile issues shouldn't cause a crash to off, but even at 16GB there can be odd effects. I was struggling with stability in the division 2, checked logs and the pagefile was showing errors, increased the size and problems stopped. This was with 16GB of RAM and about 4GB of Pagefile, with only 8-9GB of RAM actually being used.

Nov 23, 2019
It's unlikely to be the outlet, you're pulling probably 350W max, which is 1/10th of a toaster or kettle, test using one of these higher power devices.

when you say new processor, do you mean new processor and mobo?
Yep

Pagefile issues shouldn't cause a crash to off, but even at 16GB there can be odd effects. I was struggling with stability in the division 2, checked logs and the pagefile was showing errors, increased the size and problems stopped. This was with 16GB of RAM and about 4GB of Pagefile, with only 8-9GB of RAM actually being used.
I have my pagefile set manually to minimum 1024x16x1.5 and maximum 3x minimum total. Still restarts

did u reset the bios, clear cmos? also have u tried with another PSU?
I have tried resetting bios, clearing cmos, and had it originally on a corsair 1000w psu from my previous build before buying a new 750w.

I've ran chkdsk + sfc/scannow results came back clean. I did a fresh install at least 3 times with all drivers as well, still restarts. On 1 of the fresh installs I did it on a spare hard drive and it still restarts.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
It's unlikely to be the outlet, you're pulling probably 350W max, which is 1/10th of a toaster or kettle, test using one of these higher power devices.
You have 30A/120V outlets in your home? Where I live, toasters, kettles and most other stuff is limited to ~1500W as the 15A rating of typical 120V circuits (1800W) isn't intended to be continuous, might thermal trip breakers after some number of minutes.

You may be able to get 3500W out of a UK 230V/16A circuit, though those tend to be shared across multiple rooms so I doubt 3500W appliances are common over there too :)

Also, photonicinduction did some over-volting cooking experiments with things like toaster-ovens and his ultimate conclusion was that aside from boiling water in record time, there isn't much of a point in pumping more than the rated power into cooking appliances because it mostly leads to charred exterior and raw interior... or stuff spontaneously igniting :)

Reactions: mark520fay35
Nov 23, 2019
Ok so I fixed it. Turns out it was the CPU processor. Went back to Micro Center and exchanged for a AMD Ryzen 3600 not the 3600x that I had originally bought. So far system is stable. Side note, before the exchange I couldn't even perform a SSD benchmark (it would restart at like 2% into the benchmark) now with the 3600 I got I was able to complete the benchmark. Can play games and doesnt restart either. Either way now I feel iffy about AMD considering I came from an Intel i7 930 that lasted me 10 years.

You have 30A/120V outlets in your home? Where I live, toasters, kettles and most other stuff is limited to ~1500W as the 15A rating of typical 120V circuits (1800W) isn't intended to be continuous, might thermal trip breakers after some number of minutes.

You may be able to get 3500W out of a UK 230V/16A circuit, though those tend to be shared across multiple rooms so I doubt 3500W appliances are common over there too :)

Also, photonicinduction did some over-volting cooking experiments with things like toaster-ovens and his ultimate conclusion was that aside from boiling water in record time, there isn't much of a point in pumping more than the rated power into cooking appliances because it mostly leads to charred exterior and raw interior... or stuff spontaneously igniting :)
UK so 13A 240V, regardless the power draw from a PC is nothing compared to any domestic appliance designed to make things hot.