Nexgen Intel Chipset (Bearlake-X) details revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Unless you overclock you won't understand.
Doing calculations just for crappy marketing sake is a pain.

I do overclock....

All I'm saying is that the frequency we should be worried about is the frequency of the data transfer on the bus not that of the controlling clock.

The 'calculations' involved are no more due to marketing than the whole 'DX2' situation at the time of the creation of the CPU clock multiplier, a very similar system in alot of ways.

Yes, it caused confusion, both for overclockers and the average Joe trying to upgrade his PC, but at the time, a motherboard that could run at 66MHz would have been overpriced, and wouldnt have given much of an improvement, as one that ran at 4GHz today would be. Yes, Intel and friends used the whole DX2 thing as a marketing gimmick, but the confusion and calculations were not a result of marketing.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If they're going to come out with 8 cores, I think they're going to use a dual fsb, Can't remember where I heard that.

It plainly stated that the chipset offers only a single 1333 bus, then it will be another chipset for sure, not this.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
What about Kentsfield and future (but not so much) 8 cores? Will they all have to share a 1333 bus... 166 MHz/core Question Exclamation

Kentsfield is 4 cores and they're not doing 8 cores for a while till 45nm at the earliest. Kentsfield gets along fine on a 1066fsb so a 1333 it'll be even faster.

Don't tell around you're smart, please.

Ok that makes no sense but you keep on laughing to hide the fact that you're wrong and I've hurt your pride fanboy.

From teh AMD site:

Sempron = from the Latin word "semper" meaning "everyday." It was supposed to be a chip for "everyday computing." They adden the "on" ending like with the Athlon, Duron, Opteron models.

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
From teh AMD site:

Sempron = from the Latin word "semper" meaning "everyday." It was supposed to be a chip for "everyday computing." They adden the "on" ending like with the Athlon, Duron, Opteron models.

very cool, good to know and they are right it is a good everday chip.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Wonder if they will ever devolpe any chips near the town of "MIANUS".

:lol:

I can see it now...

"oh.. drop some AS5 on MIANUS.. runs cooler"

"oh.. MIANUS runs faster then yer's"

"oh.. has anyone tried water cooling MIANUS?"

"say, does the MIANUS handle 1.5 vcore?"

:oops: . o O (eeeek!! MIANUS is fried)

:? . o O (MIANUS is broke, the fans stopped working)

. o O <(screams: I can't take it any more, MIANUS is overheating!!)

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
As far as I know, its just expanding the bus speeds to 5ghz single data path.

It should be backwards compadable with todays standard PCI-E cards.

PCI Express 2.0 to double bandwidth
I was scanning through the draft designs of PCIe v2.0 the other day [not being usual me] and it did seem to indicate it's backward compatible.
Same PEG slots.

i would hope so or it wou;dn't get much support for a while becuase gfx card companies would have to make either 2 ver of the card or force ppl to change mobos or not support it at all

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
What about Kentsfield and future (but not so much) 8 cores? Will they all have to share a 1333 bus... 166 MHz/core Question Exclamation

Kentsfield is 4 cores and they're not doing 8 cores for a while till 45nm at the earliest. Kentsfield gets along fine on a 1066fsb so a 1333 it'll be even faster.

Don't tell around you're smart, please.

Ok that makes no sense but you keep on laughing to hide the fact that you're wrong and I've hurt your pride fanboy.

Perhaps he's the new Shakira. Any bets on when he starts going on about cache thrashing and C2D not being a true 64bit CPU :?::roll:

Next thing he'll tell you is that Kentsfield is just two Conroe's stuck together with stickytape 8O

TRENDING THREADS