NexPhone: All-In-One Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop, PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Not exactly a 'new' concept but one who's time is clearly coming.
Smart phones are clearly getting to a point where they have the computing power for most everyday tasks. So docking them into a PC or Laptop shell could be interesting as long as the various docking hardware does not cost more or close to the device they are supposed to replace.

make it x86 with windows so I can have more of a desktop expierence with some of my old applicaitons and I am sold.

Even better would be a device that, instead of 'docking' to take over the use of a periphrial, would be to make the device bootable, so that my phone would have all of my data and applications, and be able to use the hardware (cpu, gpu, etc) of my laptop device, or my desktop device. The phone could be absolutely gutless, but with a big system drive/SSD, and let it leech the power of other devices instead. That is the phone or 'personal device' that I really want.

G

i definitely like the concept, its similar the what asus is trying to do with there phone that's in the works, plus what the atrix failed at.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
It seems you forgot to mention that this will have Ubuntu running on it, to the above user, NO WINDOWS, it is obsolete trash from the proprietary software era. This is the era of the free software society.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like having a phone hanging off of all your devices would look a little weird, I wish they could find a way to integrate it better.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I'm sure this should be a good alternative to those who typically browse, watch and listens to music. But seriously,. I wouldn't bat an eye on it since doing multitasking is probably awful on this.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Phone, ok, table, ok, TV/media center, ok, Desktop. wow, now you went to far.

I suspect we may need to wait for Project Denver and ARM-64 before having the smartphone take over the PC. I favor Ubuntu as my desktop so it is not that far out for me in terms of OS.

However, the electronics will become relatively cheap, and they in fact are kind of cheap right now, a $200 tablet is very cheap specially if you see the price of electronics over the years accounting for inflation. So it is more likely you'll see an ARM chip thrown on any future media device instead of trying to turn your cell phone into multiple devices.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
- I should have watched the video before posting

I really don't understand the point on this one,. "dock your phone on the nex laptop to get full computer experience",. seriously,. just buy a Windows 7 laptop or pick up those upcoming Windows 8 laptops and get touch-screen, touchpad and keyboard if you really dig the touch screen.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
As mentioned above, the concept isn't new. A better idea may be to have a slightly less powerful cpu/gpu in the phone and have duplicate networked hardware in each dock...that way the available power would scale to the typical use scenario and possibly allow some descent gaming.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Smart phones are barely getting to the point they actually make good "smart phones"; we've got a long ways to go before one of them can kick up enough horsepower to drive a 30" screen. Apple really didn't do us any favors by releasing the iPhone when it did because hardware and infrastructure just weren't ready.

But to anyone that's read Science Fiction on any kind of regular basis - or, heck, even just watched enough Star Trek episodes - none of this is any real news until it happens. The ideas aren't new, they've been around for generations.

Where's my Dick Tracy watch? :D

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]It seems you forgot to mention that this will have Ubuntu running on it, to the above user, NO WINDOWS, it is obsolete trash from the proprietary software era. This is the era of the free software society.[/citation]
Yet....Linux still can't seem to compete with Windows on the PC.... Until Linux is as user-friendly as Windows....it won't see anywhere near the adoption rate as Windows.

G

I feel strangely confident that the "PC dock" will be more expensive than an actual PC.

G

Maybe the step in between would be an x86 windows phone that can be easily synced with a windows PC. Newer ARM or Atom processors would already make this possible. Better if MS could bundle pricing of the WinOS PC and WinOS mobile to make the mobile device cheaper.

anastasios912

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Cool concept but it'll be useless since the phone will die after about 6 hours of usage :p

But seriously who gives a #@$% about these features or extra processing power if we can't even use our phones throughout the day. I know I don't. I'd be much more excited if Google came out and made a requirement for battery life on android devices...10 hours at least. Anything below that is just plain frustrating. Lately I've been going through 2 batteries a day on my galaxy 2, normal usage :p. Sometimes it's even on airplane mode. Insane. (I know that isn't normal, my phone has gone to hell but still, it was never great before)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]anastasios912[/nom]Cool concept but it'll be useless since the phone will die after about 6 hours of usage But seriously who gives a #@$% about these features or extra processing power if we can't even use our phones throughout the day. I know I don't. I'd be much more excited if Google came out and made a requirement for battery life on android devices...10 hours at least. Anything below that is just plain frustrating. Lately I've been going through 2 batteries a day on my galaxy 2, normal usage . Sometimes it's even on airplane mode. Insane. (I know that isn't normal, my phone has gone to hell but still, it was never great before)[/citation]
Hmm... personally, I've found my battery life to be fine, and the Galaxy Nexus isn't exactly known to be good there. (that's the CDMA one though - I have the GSM version)

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Ok, take that concept, use a Windows 8 phone that hooks up to stuff and runs a full version of Windows 8. Then you have a useful desktop environment in that all native applications can be installed and work on it. As much as I like Ubuntu, from a productivity standpoint enterprise desktop applications are just not there (and yes I know about open office).

Also, the concept of a Ubuntu OS on a larger screen has already been done by a few Motorola phones with Android/Ubuntu being mixed.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Imagine... ALL your data, your contacts, your work, your programs... on your phone.

Then... imagine having that device stolen at school, gym, train, at work... etc... oops.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Imagine... ALL your data, your contacts, your work, your programs... on your phone.Then... imagine having that device stolen at school, gym, train, at work... etc... oops.[/citation]

I was going to say the exact same thing. It's a great idea in theory. Absolutely horrific in potential practice.

If this ever happened, it would ultimately work to further the cloud computing era because you would have to have all your data synced to the cloud in order to maintain a minimum level of data security. So in essence you would have a chrome book phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.