News Next-Gen AMD 32-Core Ryzen Threadripper Spotted Ticking up to 4.3 GHz

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Yupsies, more troubles for Intel's HEDT line. Intel should retire or move their HEDT into mainstream desktop, and rebadge their Xeon workstation line (with 6 channel memory) as the new HEDT.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Yupsies, more troubles for Intel's HEDT line. Intel should retire or move their HEDT into mainstream desktop, and rebadge their Xeon workstation line (with 6 channel memory) as the new HEDT.

Intel's HEDT has more of a market than Threadripper because of the severe and annoying stratification Intel does with its product stacks that AMD doesn't. With the impending release of a 16 core Ryzen CPU with PCIE4 support, what exactly is the point of threadripper? How many workstations need more than 16 cores? The market demand for 32 core workstations has to be miniscule. If you need that many cores you're going the server route with Epyc.

Aug 29, 2019
Intel's HEDT has more of a market than Threadripper because of the severe and annoying stratification Intel does with its product stacks that AMD doesn't. With the impending release of a 16 core Ryzen CPU with PCIE4 support, what exactly is the point of threadripper? How many workstations need more than 16 cores? The market demand for 32 core workstations has to be miniscule. If you need that many cores you're going the server route with Epyc.

Threadripper is not just about cores. Do you even follow this product? Let me then repeat the obvious. TR has many more PCI lanes as well as quad channel memory support. As far as I know, it supports ECC as well. And if you think 32 cores are redundant, you are also mistaken. TR is cheaper than Epyc as well and usually run at higher frequencies since it is not as mission critical servers.

Reactions: alextheblue

There is more to it than just "more cores". Professionals typically use GPGPU more than higher core counts anyways. AMD has work to do to sway people. Mainly they need to up their marketing game and start working with professional software developers to optimize and ensure stability with their products. Thats something Intel, and on the GPU end nVidia, does heavily.

Reactions: alextheblue

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Threadripper is not just about cores. Do you even follow this product? Let me then repeat the obvious. TR has many more PCI lanes as well as quad channel memory support. As far as I know, it supports ECC as well. And if you think 32 cores are redundant, you are also mistaken. TR is cheaper than Epyc as well and usually run at higher frequencies since it is not as mission critical servers.

No, I do not follow Threadripper. I was unaware it had its own Twitter account. Ryzen supports ECC. Not every motherboard supports it, but if you need the feature, you just need to find one that does. Between the chipset and the CPU, 570 motherboards support up to 40 PCIE 4.0 channels. That is sufficient for the overwhelming majority of workstations. As for quad channel vs dual channel. Peruse the many articles covering this topic. They all come to the same conclusion, it doesn't matter. Feel free to link to one that doesn't come to that conclusion. Again, I'm sure quad channel will pay some big dividends in the server market, but it just doesn't matter for workstations.

Being able to read down a feature list doesn't make you an expert on a product, nor does it put you in a position to insult the knowledge level of other posters. The Threadripper product stack just doesn't make much sense in the current market, and if Intel didn't artificially handicap their mainstream platforms so much, their HEDT stack would be equally pointless.