News Next-Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper Might Be Coming Soon

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
There is one conundrum with a 4th Gen Threadripper release: Package power for the 64-core SKUs.
The new EPYCs already push 280W, which might leave little socket power/thermal headroom for Threadripper to really shine.
I am curious to see how AMD meets this challenge.

Edit: I almost forgot price slotting... the price gap between current Threadripper and new EPYC is actually fairly narrow as far as target markets are concerned.

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
There is one conundrum with a 4th Gen Threadripper release: Package power for the 64-core SKUs.
The new EPYCs already push 280W, which might leave little socket power/thermal headroom for Threadripper to really shine.
I am curious to see how AMD meets this challenge.

Edit: I almost forgot price slotting... the price gap between current Threadripper and new EPYC is actually fairly narrow as far as target markets are concerned.
My theory is that Threadripper would be a dumping ground for defective IO dies. IO dies are huge and throwing one out because of one bad memory controller would be a huge waste and would be expensive. To differentiate epyc and threadripper AMD might unlock threadrippers. But other than that they are going to be exactly the same. Idk just my theory

Apr 3, 2021
My theory is that Threadripper would be a dumping ground for defective IO dies. IO dies are huge and throwing one out because of one bad memory controller would be a huge waste and would be expensive.
Isn't Epyc octa channel RAM-wise? And Non Pro Threadripper is Quad-Channel right? How likely would it be for an IO die to be defective in such a way that octa channel doesn't work but quad channel does perfectly? Server RAM has poor timings and is at most 3200Mhz so if anything Threadripper needs the better memory controllers surely?

To differentiate epyc and threadripper AMD might unlock threadrippers. But other than that they are going to be exactly the same. Idk just my theory
Threadripper 3rd Gen + 1USMUS's Clock Tuner :kissingheart:

What I am most curious about is the rumoured 16 core threadripper. Will it's frequencies and single-core performance be better or worse than the Ryzen™ 9 3950X? And how much more will it cost?
My guess is that to differentiate it from the Ryzen 9 3950X, it will have two good dies as opposed to the 1 v.good and the 1 okay dye of the 3950X. Slightly lower boost speeds, slightly worse power efficiency/more heat but more consistency across the cores and of course quad channel as opposed to dual channel.
It seems like you get so much more for your money with low-mid level Threadripper boards compared to high-end Ryzen boards of similar price. Mostly important Intel Ethernet which is sorely lacking on X570 and B550 boards.