NEXT-GEN CONSOLE TECH

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It is about time again for the next generation of consoles to come up, and crazy rumors and
speculations start arising. We have to wait till E3 to find out the details, but some of us may already have some ideas of what's yet to come.
The first thing is the hardware. Most of us would agree that the current console hardware is really old. We can easily compare how battlefield 3 runs on the Xbox with its performance on the PC. Huge difference. Current day graphics and performance outdoes the consoles very badly. The Graphics Cards on the consoles were an equivalent of an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT. That is really old, especially when you compare it to the modern day AMD Radeon HD 7970, which is said to be the first "Next-Gen" graphics card. What will be the Graphics Cards of the next generation of consoles? Who will develop it?
There was a rumor a couple years ago about Intel developing the PS4's GPU. Most of us were shocked. That would have been an outright disaster, considering Intel's history of mediocre graphics solutions. We were put to rest when SONY came out and denied those rumors. But now, the question still remains. Evidence points towards Nvidia, because of SONY's previous relations with the company. But we have been seeing some negative relations between the 2 also. SONY claims that Nvidia has not been as cooperating as they have hoped. Perhaps that points to them ditching Nvidia and going for AMD. As much as i personally prefer AMD, I find that somewhat unlikely. If they do stay with Nvidia, what model GPU are they going to use?
The Play Station 4 fan-made website ( http://www.ps4playstation4.com/Expected-PS4-Specs ) believes that the GPU will be somewhat similar to a GTX 560. I find that horrifying. Lol, I'm not a super nerd like them, but even i can tell that is not enough for a next-gen console that needs to be future proof. many game developers have already stated their opinions on where the next gen consoles may go. Last year, EPIC showcased The Samaritan, a demo for Unreal Engine 4 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM ) They said that it was running, in real time, on a PC with 3 GTX 590 SLI-ed. They claimed it was an indication of where the next gen consoles are gonna be in terms of graphics. Well, I hope so. Well, I'm hoping that the PS4 uses a Kepler GPU, with power equivalent to a radeon HD 7990. That would be monster, and would cost a lot of money, but the consoles are probably not going to be released till 2013-2015, so we have time for the prices to drop. SONY has not yet claimed the power of their next console's GPU, but there is good indication that it will be Nvidia that designs SONY's next GPU. So, what do you think?
So, the Xbox Next gets the AMD GPU. I'm not exactly sure yet, but almost every source points that way. Even AMD has made some large boasts about the Xbox's new GPU. They claim that it will be able to produce absolutely stunning, Photo realistic, CG quality graphics.. Leave it to AMD to do the boasting lol. The Xbox will probably get a new amd radeon HD 7000 series, or an equivalent good hd 6000 series card. That actually seems like a good setup for a next gen console. in terms of resolution, it would hardly be a next gen console without an increase in resolution. Although UHD technology (7680x4320) is under way, i highly doubt that the next gen consoles would go that high, mainly because of the overwhelming price. My bets are placed on Quad-HD (3840x2160). It may seem unlikely for some, but within the next 2 years, prices will be sure to decrease. Many TV companies are already developing Quad-HD TVs, and there are is a whole slew of 56 inch Quad HDTVs on the way this Summer. It is only logical that the next gen consoles will use the tech. It wouldn't be a next gen console without an increase in resolution. It would be disappointing if the consoles just stuck with 1080p. If AMD is putting their HD 7000 series to use in the Xbox, then it shows good indication to the console gaming future. It will need to if it wants to stay relevant 10 years after its release.
Let's not forget that the Wii U is actually a console. Nintendo has been particularly mean to the hardcore gamers of the past with their tech-wise underwhelming specs. But they are attempting a different, cheaper method. This is why they outsell the other 2 consoles, and Wii U will undoubtedly follow the pattern. It is rumored that the Wii U will take an AMD 700-800 gen GPU. The rumors are that they will be using a GPU similar to an HD 6770, which is not that good, but okay for their purpose. As much as I'm hoping, I would be truly surprised if Nintendo went beyond that. As for a jump to HD, we're betting on a transition to 1080p. They could do quad-HD or 4k, but that seems unlikely. We're looking out for it though.
That ws GPU, but graphics isn't everything. What other features/specs can we look out for? Many other speculators think that the PS4/Nextbox will have around 8 GB of RAM/VRAM, which will be stored in the cloud, or virtual memory, as opposed to memory sticks. Honestly, The next gen consoles will be doing lots of crazy stuff that we cant even begin to imagine. If they want to stay relevant for the remainder of their 10-year cycle, their tech needs to be able to support them till their successors (which we probably wont see till 2030). They need at least 8 GB XDR2-RAM with another 6 GB of DDR5-VRAM, all stored in super-fast virtual memory. This may seem over-kill now, but it is necessary if they want to stay game capable 10 years from now. Come on, The PS3 thought that 256 MB VRAM would be enough-_-. The next gen consoles need to be ready to tackle advanced motion controls, full 3d, Quad HD resolutions, and other crazy stuff that we cant even begin to imagine now. Innovation can only come in if leave door open wide enough.
Also, there is a big debate on whether the next gen consoles will use HVD or Blue-ray. Although it seems unlikely for the generation, i actually believe that the PS4 might do it, in a way. SONY let some information leak about them creating a new type of disk, similar to HVD. It will contain up to 6 TB of data, although about half of it will go to advanced disk encryption, which, they believe, will make a huge jump in preventing piracy. It would be a waste if SONY did not put it into their next console. The Xbox, however, is probably not going to go for HVD. The chances are that they will make the jump to Blu-ray. They were always behind the SONY in that aspect.
There is also 3d and motion control. Although Microsoft introduces Kinect to us, it is unlikely that they will forsake the traditional controller. The Wii U has made jumps on their controller, but the chances are that the PS4/Nextbox will feature the usual small changes to their controller. They might slimline it, make it look sleeker, add some cool designs and lighting, and perhaps add a back-touch pad (similar to Vita). Other than that, the controllers will pretty much be the same. Motion Control is a different matter altogether, and we can never really "expect" what will happen. Kinect was a mind-blowing (although somewhat gimmicky) pioneer into motion application, and it wont be surprising to see a better version of it on the NextBox. A Kinect V2 may actually come bundled with the NextBox, while it wont be surprising to see the PS4 attempting something similar. Move might go a great way also. 3d is something SONY is proud of, and it would be surprising to NOT see it appear on PS4. SONY has talked about a new way of doing 3D. Their "next gen" 3D. They talked about how, in current day 3d, everything seems 3d until you walk to the side of the TV. "3d" is not true 3d because of its small viewing angle and how you and your buddy see the same thing. Their Next Gen 3D makes it so that you (in front of TV) see the image as 3d popping out of the screen, and your buddy (standing to the side) sees a side view of it. It's a mind blowing concept, and i would definitely like to see it in action. Xbox also has a chance of making the jump to 3d. It is an opportunity they should not miss out on.
I'm pretty sure that there is a lot more things to cover. I can never cover them all., but its already too long; im pretty sure most people will not even read the whole thing, but this is mostly rumors and speculations, and my own goddam bias. I personally believe (hope) that The specs of the next gen consoles (showing PS4) will go something like this:
CPU: A Quad-core CPU super-clocked to about 5 GHz. It could be a CELL processor, or Nvidia's ARM based systems (like project Denver). I just hope for the best.
GPU: An Nvidia Kepler GPU equivalent to a Radeon HD 7990 (with 6 GB of DDR5-VRAM)
RAM: 8 GB of XDR2-DRAM
Resolution: Quad HD (3840x2160)
Disk Drive: Blu-ray 8x or HVD (I sincerely hope for HVD, although that seems unlikely due to high price)
And yes, that would cost a lot of money lol. I wont be suprised if the console price reaches $1000 dollars if these specs are truly correct. I never expect the consoles to be able to touch the PC. I just sincerely hope the specs are high enough to give us console players a legit reason to play on consoles for the nest 10 years. So what do you think? Agree? Disagree? or am i just plain crazy? Please comment and also leave your speculations on the next gen consoles specs. Thank you all very much.

p.s. please don't hate. appreciate :)

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

This is a joke right? The next console will be no where near this in terms of hardware or price. If you want this build a PC. I bet the next console will be a streaming gaming device like On-Live, so hardware is an non issue. Sony and MS want to make $$$ not cutting edge hardware and console fanboys could careless about hardware, they just want to play the next MW game regardless of how it looks.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

lol true, but not all of them.I'm a PC gamer, but i have a PS3 because i wanna sit back in my couch and enjoy a few rounds with my buddies. I'm just as excited to see the console tech expand.

and yeah, i was half insane when writing that. those specs are a bit high. the more realistic specs would be
i7-3770k @ 3.9GHz
Radeon HD 7990 (X1 or X2 Crossfire)
32GB RAM
A Lot of HDD Space (not sure how much)

The PS4 will probably have 2-3 Kepler versions of GTX 590 SLI

Yes, those specs are really high, but both EPIC and SQUARE agree with EPIC's Approx specs (i7-3770k, GTX 590 (X3), 32 GB RAM). I'm Just hoping it gets an HD 7000 series or Nvidia Kepler, mainly because 28mm is the new, energy efficient way to go and I want 4k really bad. Like I said, the specs are really high, and i have no doubt that the next gen consoles will be expensive if they want to stay relevant for the next 10+ years (their longer console generation cycle).

Also, i was a bit tipsy when i wrote "8k". Yes, the tech exists (called 8k, UHD[ultra HD], and features a resolution of 7680×4320), but it is really expensive. The most likely case for the PS4/Nextbox is QFHD (quad full high defenition), or 4k2k, which features a resolution of 3840×2160. Chences are, the Wii U will get 1080p.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Dam. if that's true, then that really sux. I was hoping for ATLEAST 1 HD 7990, but REALLY? COME ON! well, i still have till e3 to wait for final specs. i'm still praying. if my prayers are NOT answered, i'm ditching the consoles for LIFE. COME ON, please atleast an HD 7990

yamaha772

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The consoles will be no where near pc's but i do feel they will make a huge jump... at least playstation will... xbox and wii probably wont because they are far behind sony in terms of console specs... i dont care what any xbox fanboy says.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

I'm anything but a console fanboy, and hate them all - but if you spent some time checking the web almost ALL game developers say that the X-box is the stronger one.

Just look at how BF3 and Rage look on PS3 compared to X-Box 360. The X-box is crippled by having DVD's as media instead of Blu-ray, but that's about it.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Yes, im a ps3/pc fanboy, but i do agree that box had the lead on specs on this generation. But that should change next gen. with the rumors popping up about the next xbox having a gpu equivalent to the HD 6670, ive lost all hope on microsoft. i wish m hardest that it is not true, but if it is, then that is an indication to what we can expect in terms of next gen console specs. but I'm sure we can all agree that the PS4 will have much higher specs than the Next Xbox, if the rumors are any indication.

I guess i should have done a bit more research before posting a thread like this. Now its obvious that those specs are WAYY too high, and i just look like an idiot for posting something like this.

but i still hold high expectations for the PS4, and sony better not fail me...

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
My great hopes (fantasies) for the PS4 Specs:

CPU: A Quad-Core Processor Super-clocked to about 5.2 GHz

The Play station 4 could do a CELL Processor, return to x86, or could jump to Nvidia's ARM processors (like project denver). give me your thoughts on this.

GPU: An Nvidia Kepler equivalent of a radeon HD 7990 (w/ 6 GB DDR5-VRAM)

This time it better support full DX11 and do it right

RAM: 8 GB XDR2-DRAM.

This might sound like over-kill, but who knows what technologies that the PS4 might utilize. Its best to play it same and give it a *** load of RAM

Resolution: I'm praying for Quad-HD (3840x2160). give me ur thoughts on this

Disk Drive: Blu-ray 8x/HVD (HVD seems unlikely because of high costs, but i'm holding my breath for it. what do u think?)

3D: Yes

Other Thoughts: Probably will support an advanced version of the MOVE, and will work with an advanced version of the PS Eye, which should track body motion and increase MOVE precision, similar to Kinect.

I do realize that all these specs are all just a part of my gamer fantasy (admit it...we all have those), and will probably cost SONY a ton to make their system (especially the GPU/HVD part), but it is crucial if they want to remain relevant in the coming decade. Also, the PS4 might not come out till 2013-2014, and the prices may reduce severely. I just wish i knew how to contact SONY. us gamers should be able to express our thoughts and let the companies know that we want an amazing, next-gen gaming experience. That way, the company might take heed and consider upping the specs of their next gen consoles. honestly, the Next Xbox specs rumors horrify me, and I am sure many of you would agree. i wish to know your thoughts and your predictions for the next generation consoles, so we can have an idea of what to expect until e3 comes around this year.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
You guys do realise the PS4 won't be coming out right?

Sony are out - it has been said

The new Xbox is going to have a GPU with 4x the power of the current one - Which will put it on par with a 6670 maybe. It will support DX11 and tessalation.

The only reason Consoles can produce nice graphics (Take this with a pinch of salt, I think Console Graphics are Dire) is because the games are developed SPECIFICALLY for that hardware and its 100% limit Perfectly optimized for 25 to 35fps.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Never, that stuff inside a PS 3 sized box is a space heater, not a gaming console. Thats looking at 400+ watts, the xbox 360 had overheating problems when it was 200 watts.