[SOLVED] Next Gen Consoles Losing Out on DLSS

seymoorebutts

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
This is less of a question seeking an answer and more a question to create discussion.

Now obviously when development on the Xbox Series X and PS5 began, DLSS was not a thing. In terms of turning profit and getting the best price/performance ratio, I understand going with AMD parts. Perhaps integration between an AMD CPU and GPU is key to optimization for their OS and how games interact with the architecture.

But DLSS, or Deep Learning Super Sampling, is proving itself to be some ample technology, specifically DLSS 2.0.

View: https://youtu.be/coOzBPGl-O8

View: https://youtu.be/YWIKzRhYZm4

These are two videos by Digital Foundry that delve a little further into how DLSS 2.0 operates in Control and what the implications are for a console that could potentially make use of this technology. The video about Wolfenstein on the Switch doesn't even use DLSS 2.0 as I don't believe it was available yet. Should Nintendo develop a Switch Pro or whatever it would be named, if it contained an updated Tegra processor with Ampere architecture and Tensor cores, developers could make incredible use of DLSS.

Now, my thoughts are about if DLSS is something that provides Nvidia GPUs with more performance per cost, and what would it be like if Next Gen Consoles were built with Ampere GPU architecture. Would consoles be sold at a lower price point with equal or better performance?

Solution
The new consoles have enough GPU power for DLSS to not matter much,if at all.
It makes perfect sense for a handheld where power is a huge issue but unless we get red ring of death consoles again it doesn't matter for console.
It would be an incredibly hard sell to have a next gen console that would only do 1080 or even lower and then upscale that,if if the difference weren't visible people would snob it.
The new consoles have enough GPU power for DLSS to not matter much,if at all.
It makes perfect sense for a handheld where power is a huge issue but unless we get red ring of death consoles again it doesn't matter for console.
It would be an incredibly hard sell to have a next gen console that would only do 1080 or even lower and then upscale that,if if the difference weren't visible people would snob it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS