Next Gen games stuttering on my PC

JawnCabrero

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hello Tom's Hardware expert users, would you kindly help me with something?

This is my PC:
CPU: AMD A10-7850k - 4-Cores ~ 4.0 GHz
RAM: 4+2= 6GB RAM 1333 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 2 GB GDDR5
Storage: 500GB HDD + 500GB HDD For games.

Every time I run a "next-gen" game like Watch Dogs, or Far Cry 4 or Battlefield 4 the game runs fine, 40 to 50 frames-per-second on everything maxed out. It's good like that until I enter a vehicle, or start moving too fast in-game, there are random stutters, like lag spikes like every 3 to 5 seconds, really annoying, makes me cringe. Dragon Age Inquisition runs fine, but when I minimize, open web browser, close web browser and come back to game, it start stuttering too. I can play old games just fine, like Battlefield 3, Call of Duty Ghosts, Alan Wake, I can minimize and come back with no problem.

I want it gone, I am willing to spend some money on new hardware to get it fixed, these are stupid hardware anyway. But first I need to know what to upgrade here first. Here is what I have in mind:

- The CPU may be holding back the GPU. "Bottleneck" (I flocking hate this word)
In Dragon Age Inquisition the GPU Usage is always 93%-99% while CPU Usage is always around 40-50%, In Watch Dogs/BF4/FC4 GPU usage is 43%-60% while the CPU usage never goes above 80% even if I set high priority. CPU Temps: 60 to 65c, GPU: 60 to 70c
- The low speed Hard Disk.
Could the Hard Disk be a problem?
- Low Speed RAM
Most Unlikely but I made some research and found out that RAM speed may affect texture loading, communication between RAM and Video RAM stuff. Well I don't know jack.
- GPU Is completely fine, it's a mid range beast.

If the problem is CPU, would you approve an i5-4590? For playing next-gen games? I heard 4-core Intel beats the sheet out of 8-Core AMD. Well I don't know, just heard. So what do you guys think? The best answer will have a kiss and a cake, and of course best answer pick. xD Thanks guys.

Solution
Another suggestion would be to get matching sticks of ram; you are limited the memory bandwidth with your current 4+2 configuration.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Have only played Dragon Age. I have an I5 2500K (3 years old), 16GB RAM, and play off an SSD (6 GB/s SATA) and a GTX 560. Playing those games, my rig is not as heavily taxed, especially the temperature. Would suggest a clean of the inside first to see if it improves performance.

JawnCabrero

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Oh right, sorry, The cooling is the lousy stock AMD cooler. The PSU is a Corsair CX 500w 80+ Bronze

From your usage data, it looks like depending on the game, both your CPU and your GPU could use an upgrade. Your case shows why these AMD APU's are ok for a budget build, but leave little room to grow long term.

I would recommend the i5-4590, and yes it is better than the FX8350 in most benchmarks as it has better single core performance. It is also more power efficient overall.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4590-vs-AMD-FX-8350

6 GB of RAM should be enough, and should have nothing to do with your performance issues.

JawnCabrero

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Woah that was quick, thanks guys, I'm going to disassemble piece by piece, and clean, piece by piece and see if it improves something. I'm still looking forward to getting that i5-4590. But I'm afraid if I buy a new Motherboard and new CPU and the problem persists, is there any chance for this to happen?

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
he said he had a gtx 960

JawnCabrero

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Hey Tman thanks for the suggestion, so if I buy 2 sticks of 4GB 1600mhz from the same model and manufacturer will it reduce the stuttering I'm having? I need to be sure, if so, I'll buy the RAM sticks first and the new motherboard later.