Next-Gen Gorilla Glass May Be Germ Resistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
HIV dies outside the body on it's own...

However the video is cool. We've been seeing these kind of things in SciFi movies for quite a while, I wonder when they will actually become reality?

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I am not sure why we need anti-bacterial glass? Isn't good ole windex wipe good enough?

I am excited about the anti-glare glass for the tablets and cell phones. Very annoying in bright light situations.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I've dropped every smart phone i've had, without a case, multiple times. I buy a nice one with Gorilla glass and this happens the first time it is dropped.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/google-nexus-4/45515d1352503599t-buy-n4-fix-my-cracked-screen-sg3-broken-one-x.jpg

Replacement cost on the phone, 750 dollars. Gorilla Glass = broken phone. There is no point in having a nice looking phone if you have to have a gaudy arse case on it. Just get something that has a plastic cover, not a glass one. Gorilla glass is lame.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
anti-microbial is actually a good idea if you think about it a second... your touchscreen has to be -the- dirtiest thing you carry around with you. and no, not everyone wants to carry around clorox wipes with you everywhere.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

I think it was designed to prevent OLED or any "advance display technology" from deterioration due to oxygen/hydrogen + sunlight or simply a moisture resistant enclosure. These 2 elements does not only invite moisture, but will also cause some germs (and bacteria) to "breath life" which also accelerates deterioration.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
How about making the glass shatter-proof instead of this useless anti-bacterial? Too great a challenge? Or is it the fear of their sales going down once people stop shattering their displays?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Actually these phones tend to be fairly rugged. There are phones that break on the first drop but this is due to defective glass rather than a defective product. I know a whole group of people that have these buggers and they're rather resilient. I've dropped, thrown, and generally abused mine beyond belief and you can hardly tell. Compared that with an early Razr with the plastic screen where everything was scratched after a week.

Now the anti-glare properties are pretty useful, but antimicrobial? There's a reason I have an immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.