Question Next level tech noob squirming for CPU advice

Jun 25, 2022
Whattup folks,

I'm looking for a hefty GPU, CPU and RAM upgrade to be able to run eight emulators at a time on my computer. I'm a professional poker player and need to be able to run the emulators to get mobile poker games on desktop.
The CPU that was advised to me is the Intel Core i7-8700 . I'm looking for a CPU that's a bit stronger just to be save. I don't know anything about computers, so if you legends can shed some light on the following questions I have I would hugely appreciate it:

• The emulator I'll be using is LDPlayer. The CPU needs to be 8-core. Whether the processor is a single or multiple thread processor is probably irrelevant. What's a good alternative at a good price point for the Intel Core i7-8700 that meets these criteria?
  • Is it advisable to buy a used CPU, and how can I distinguish whether the CPU still performs well or not?
  • What are the go to places online to get a reliable CPU Benchmark score on CPU's?
  • What are the go to places online to get favorable deals on CPU's?

Again, your help would be hugely appreciated.

Have a good one.

USAFRet

Titan
Start here:

Post in the System Forum.

Whattup folks,

I'm looking for a hefty GPU, CPU and RAM upgrade to be able to run eight emulators at a time on my computer. I'm a professional poker player and need to be able to run the emulators to get mobile poker games on desktop.
The CPU that was advised to me is the Intel Core i7-8700 . I'm looking for a CPU that's a bit stronger just to be save. I don't know anything about computers, so if you legends can shed some light on the following questions I have I would hugely appreciate it:

• The emulator I'll be using is LDPlayer. The CPU needs to be 8-core. Whether the processor is a single or multiple thread processor is probably irrelevant. What's a good alternative at a good price point for the Intel Core i7-8700 that meets these criteria?
  • Is it advisable to buy a used CPU, and how can I distinguish whether the CPU still performs well or not?
  • What are the go to places online to get a reliable CPU Benchmark score on CPU's?
  • What are the go to places online to get favorable deals on CPU's?
Again, your help would be hugely appreciated.

Have a good one.
The place to start is your motherboard as whatever CPU you can fit depends entirely on what it can support. Same for RAM. PSU you'll use this all with is also relevant as it has to be able to power both the new CPU and GPU.

So...what is the rest of your system spec?

Buying used CPU or GPU (since they'll be coming on used market in droves) is indeed a risk. But CPU less so perhaps...especially if it's a non-k Intel CPU since you know it can not have been overclocked. Generally, though, if it's not going to work out for you it won't run properly "out of the box" so be sure to get a good return/refund policy in the deal.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022
Thanks both. I'll make sure to read the guidelines for asking help and will create a new thread.
I'm probably in need of an entirely new pc, so I'll update some of the information provided in the new thread.