Next Nexus 7 Model to Use Qualcomm Snapdragon Chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
This sounds like a really nice upgrade. That said, I won't be selling my current Nexus 7 to get the second generation Nexus 7. I'm very happy with my current one.

Very excited for the next gen Nexus 7! I've been eyeballing the current tablet for awhile ever since my brother purchased one. Seems I'll be holding off for a while longer for the second gen!

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I'm not going to second guess google's decision after loving the nexus 7. I won't be trading in my original model for the upgrade, but I am very interested to see the next iteration of the nexus 10. It's certainly a fine product now, but wasn't quite the innovator to separate $400 from my wallet.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I will eb excited to see what they scome up with fo rthe nexus 7 and 10, with there ws an in between like 8.5" though, 10.1 seems big, 7 seems to close to my phone and planning on getting a ntoe 3 so bordering on very close at that point. still an improved budget small tablet wll cause the rest of the tablet makers to step up

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Oh man, if they use the upcoming Snapdragon 800, I'll be forced to buy it. Plus, all of the first Nexus 7's bugs will be ironed out, hopefully.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Tegra 3 is great on the Nexus 7, it's still the fastest 7" tablet on the market, at any price. I can see how suckers who bought those expensive Transformer Prime/Infinity or Surface RT might feel disappointed, but it's not Tegra's fault.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Tegra 3 is great on the Nexus 7, it's still the fastest 7" tablet on the market, at any price. I can see how suckers who bought those expensive Transformer Prime/Infinity or Surface RT might feel disappointed, but it's not Tegra's fault.[/citation]
Yep. Since nvidia hyped tegra 3 so much with the "4+1 QUAD COAR + 12 GPU COAR BEAST" and the "console quality gaming" bullshit, ASUS and M$ thought they'd just use this hype to sell their overpriced tablets while still saving cash because T3 is quite cheap.

hannibal

Distinguished
to renz496: Most propably. The tegra 3 is getting old and they need new product at the same price gategory. They allready have nexus 10 as an "better" option, for those who are willing to pay more.
If they can get new nexus 7 with a little bit better screen, CPUGPU with a little bit better electric usage they are just fine!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]great person-obama[/nom]I love my nexus 7 32GB more than my own children[/citation]
same here... well... replace the tablet with my computer and children with... well... lets end that thought there and you draw your own conclusions.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Love my Nexus 7! Glad they are being critical on the CPU for the next gen model. I'm surprised the Tegra 4 hasn't been received so well - I would like to see a proper review soon so we can know what the fuss is about.

Increasing pixel density on the 7" screen is also good - I don't have issues reading for hours but an improvement is always nice. I just hope Google does a better job with the updates - the last one killed bluetooth, battery life, among other things. Looking forward to 4.2.2. to fix those in the next week or two.

I bought my 7 when they first hit the stores. I'll decide on upgrading to that or the competing iPad Mini, depending on specs at that time.

[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Love my Nexus 7! Glad they are being critical on the CPU for the next gen model. I'm surprised the Tegra 4 hasn't been received so well - I would like to see a proper review soon so we can know what the fuss is about.Increasing pixel density on the 7" screen is also good - I don't have issues reading for hours but an improvement is always nice. I just hope Google does a better job with the updates - the last one killed bluetooth, battery life, among other things. Looking forward to 4.2.2. to fix those in the next week or two.I bought my 7 when they first hit the stores. I'll decide on upgrading to that or the competing iPad Mini, depending on specs at that time.[/citation]

My Nexus 7 isn't having any battery life issues. It'll go all day with minor gaming and be fine. I have 4.2.1

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]My Nexus 7 isn't having any battery life issues. It'll go all day with minor gaming and be fine. I have 4.2.1[/citation]

I wish mine did, it went from 5 days to about 2 on standby without an increase in use. It's a common complaint, but no bluetooth and screen flicker from backlight adjusting every couple seconds made it unusable until I bought Lux to correct it. Google told me 4.2.2 should correct these issues.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Quote:[/nom]The upcoming variant of Google's Nexus 7 tablet will apparently ditch Nvidia's Tegra 4 processor in favor of a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset.

The second-generation Nexus 7, manufactured by Asus, is said to sport a full HD (1920 x 1080) display, as opposed to the 1280 x 800 pixels featured by the current, first-generation variant. Moreover, Pacific Crest analyst Michael McConnell believes Google won’t rely on Nvidia for its chipset, but instead turn to Qualcomm.

Google's second-generation Nexus 7 should have a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro chip, while the first model utilized an Nvidia Tegra 3 system-on-chip. Qualcomm's Chief Marketing Officer recently criticized Nvidia's Tegra processors with the Tegra 4 believed to have been adopted by only Toshiba.[/citation]
Where are the sources? nvidia will "apparently" use a qualcomm chipset because " analyst Michael McConnell believes" "Google's second-generation Nexus 7 should have a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro chip".. Who cares what an "analyst" believes.. Why should it? Because some guy from qualcomm says their brand new 28nm cortex a-15 chipset is better than nvidias almost 2 year old 40nm cortex a-9 chipset? Of course qualcomm says their chipset is better, how about wait and see what tegra 4 is like before making a decision.. jesus.. freaking analysts on news sites...

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]Yep. Since nvidia hyped tegra 3 so much with the "4+1 QUAD COAR + 12 GPU COAR BEAST" and the "console quality gaming" bullshit, ASUS and M$ thought they'd just use this hype to sell their overpriced tablets while still saving cash because T3 is quite cheap.[/citation]

Do you even have a tablet? I have the Prime and it is by no means overpriced. Compared to the iPad 2 at the time of release (and even compared to the ipad 3 and 4 today), it was great value.

32gb ram, good screen that's actually usable in sunlight, great battery life, great performance too.

A year has passed, and better things are out now, but T3 and the Prime are no slouch yet.

[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]Do you even have a tablet? I have the Prime and it is by no means overpriced. Compared to the iPad 2 at the time of release (and even compared to the ipad 3 and 4 today), it was great value.32gb ram, good screen that's actually usable in sunlight, great battery life, great performance too.A year has passed, and better things are out now, but T3 and the Prime are no slouch yet.[/citation]

I do believe that it's 32GB of flash storage, not RAM, at least not what we usually call RAM although it may technically be RAM in the literal meaning of the acronym.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I hope the new Nexus 7 is 1920x1200 instead of the standard 1080p. The smaller the tablet, the more often it'll be used in portrait mode. The extra width in portrait mode becomes more important as tablets get smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.