Next PlayStation, Xbox to Cost $350 to $400, Say Analysts

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, a 400 dollar pc wont play games at low settings in popular games 7 years down the road. consoles still have some respect for things like parties where 4 people would like to sit down and play some games.

ikes9711

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Sacre are you kidding if you are smart enough you can mod consoles all you want and the new consoles should be able to do 60fps the 30 is just a rumor

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Who says they have to cost $400 to build? Their manufacturing price could actually be $700, but to subsidize the cost, they would do the usual procedure.

Increase the price of the console games, and to charge excessive amounts on simple accessories like $99 WiFi or HDDs at $1 per GB.

So... Based off a rumor from an analyst about a price on an xbox... That leaves lots of room for a steam box that is not even built or priced yet and that the only rumored prototype of is WAY over 500. What are you smoking?

Come on. Everyone off the magic school bus

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ikes9711[/nom]Sacre are you kidding if you are smart enough you can mod consoles all you want and the new consoles should be able to do 60fps the 30 is just a rumor[/citation]

I don't know about you, but replacing the CPU and GPU (both are very likely to be in BGA package, which is very difficult to remove) and then updating the firmware so the console can operate with the new hardware seems a lot more work than building your own PC.

Plus, your modded console might get banned from PSN or Xbox Live because the new hardware and firmware would be detected.

Though it would be an interesting Youtube video...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]That leaves a lot of room for Valve's box.[/citation]

If Valve is restricted to $400, I'd hate to see the budget hardware they pick out.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
REALLY? Only 20 and 60GB models? And only HDD? Oh comeon, HDDs are so cheap these days. Why can't those console manufacturers adding atleast a 250GB HDD...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Analysts said the Wii was a fad
Analysts said PC Gaming was dead
Analysts said that the PS3 would kill other consoles
Analysts said Dreamcast would do good
Analysts get it wrong, a lot

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Analysts said the Wii was a fadAnalysts said PC Gaming was deadAnalysts said that the PS3 would kill other consolesAnalysts said Dreamcast would do goodAnalysts get it wrong, a lot[/citation]
it's probably the same guy

anyway, im an analyst or whatever and i think the new xbox will be released this year, and the new ps4 next year

the new xbox will have the option of you paying $200 off the bat and pay installments over 2 years which will push the xbox way ahead of the competition. that business model was a success for them, it makes no sense for them to not continue it

the ps4 will probably be lackluster. sony just doesnt got it anymore, na mean?

Deep breath dude. Reading fail.

"While far from being cheap, the PS4 may be much cheaper than the PS3, when it launched for $499 for the 20 GB model and for $599 for the 60 GB model"

PS3. Launched. With 20/60GB HDD. 6-7 YEARS ago. Not the PS4. How about a little reading comprehension?

There are no facts in this "article" anyway. Its just analyst rumor on a price. I.e. some guy saying "I think cuz" i.e. nonsense

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
what i want in the next consoles.

support for current standards, not necessarily high end performance, but the current standards. that way developing and implementing them on the pc isnt to hard.

i want full tesslation supprot

and i want full occulas rift / what ever else support. as the way i see it, this is the single biggest piece of tech asside from tessellation that would change how we game... and not in a kinnect way or a move way, this is something we would actually use.

sony is developing their own occulas rift like device, steam is, and id is working hard on supporting occulas rift. so seeing it a standard thing supported would be great... hell its possible we could see it supported on current gen consoles in the case of 3d... sure we may not get the sensors but its a start at least.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Who says they have to cost $400 to build? Their manufacturing price could actually be $700, but to subsidize the cost, they would do the usual procedure.Increase the price of the console games, and to charge excessive amounts on simple accessories like $99 WiFi or HDDs at $1 per GB.[/citation]

honestly, the wireless bridge for xbox was in line with what others devices like it charge.
granted 10-15$ inside the console or 100$ after... choice is clear what i would have wanted.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]If Valve is restricted to $400, I'd hate to see the budget hardware they pick out.[/citation]

valve is going the lable route... this is a certified steam box, it will run at ______ quality.
they may branch out with their own hardware, but its more of a platform lable thing than a real product at this time.

There is no "may" valve has specifically said "WE will build it the way WE think it should be done" and others can also compete. "project piston" is a potential example of the "other" but it failed as a PC, is horribly overpriced and makes no sense.

valve is going to build their own box. Who knows what it will be

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
High end HDMI...... really? Hmmm.
I chuckle just like when someone walks into a glass door.

I will be buying the new xbox regardless of the cost. It is a small part of my man cave.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
High end HDMI...... really? Hmmm.
I chuckle just like when someone walks into a glass door.

I will be buying the new xbox regardless of the cost. It is a small part of my man cave.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Don't really see what consoles get slammed so much. The 360 came out in what 2005 and it's still going to strong. Try an play a modern game on a circa 2005 PC and it would be comical.[/citation]
You mean Pentium D and geforce 7 series of 2005?

Yup I can't imagine playing Far Cry 3 on that rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.