Next PlayStation, Xbox to Cost $350 to $400, Say Analysts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
if they are using x86 architecture then i think we will be able to play PS4/XBOX 720 games on PC with some emulator

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]...consoles still have some respect for things like parties where 4 people would like to sit down and play some games.[/citation]

As both a PC gamer/builder and a PS3 gamer (two time PS3 owner now after the original 60GB fat boy died), Thank You! I can pack up my PS3 and games & controllers and cables in nothing more than a large shoulder carry laptop bag and bring the fun to someone else's house party. Or bring it to visit relatives who have kids and have fun with them playing split screen games. Can we do that with our gaming PCs and keyboards & mice? Of course not...at least not easily. And then there are the times people like me travel on business and don't feel like spending $1,000+ on a dedicated gaming laptop (with dialed down details mind you to keep frame rates up) to pass time in the hotel room after work. And that's not even including the media entertainment factor of the modern console (for showing home videos, pictures, etc.).

I've never been a PC only gaming snob in 20+ years of gaming, and will continue to buy one iteration of every new console generation (although my last non-Sony console purchased was in the mid-90s with the N64...went to the PS2 after that, then PS3, and now will go with the PS4). Online gaming with a headset by yourself is fun, but side by side gaming on split screen is just as much fun if not more fun...and a hell of a lot more interactive.

da3ndorphin3

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
otacon72:"Don't really see what consoles get slammed so much. The 360 came out in what 2005 and it's still going to strong. Try an play a modern game on a circa 2005 PC and it would be comical."

Consoles arent magic game boxes like people think.You can run battlefield 3,farcry3,assasin creed 3 on a 5,6 y old pc hardware dual core cpu,4gb ram(you need more ram then consoles because of OS),512mb gpu like 8800.It will be low 720p just like consoles.If lazy developers more optimize PC games like they do with consoles you could play games with gpu from 2005/2006.
PC are expensive if you want to run it in ultra so then you have to upgrade every 2-3years.But its definatly worth it.Just save 15euro a month in 2,3years you can upgrade to brand new gpu,cpu.
But still consoles are great bang for buck.If they can make controller more...mousey..they can attract much more pc gamers.But thats impossible.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]You mean Pentium D and geforce 7 series of 2005? Yup I can't imagine playing Far Cry 3 on that rig.[/citation]
Neither can I. Minimum requirements for Far Cry 3 seem to be above even the high end hardware from 2005/2006, let alone a PC that cost $400 in 2005. It's impressive that the 360 and PS3 can handle it, even if the game does have some FPS issues on consoles. Definitely time for the next gen though, Far Cry 3, and I expect GTA V, will be pretty much be the maximum of what the 360 and PS3 can handle.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]You mean Pentium D and geforce 7 series of 2005? Yup I can't imagine playing Far Cry 3 on that rig.[/citation]

Sure you can. All you have to do is soak your entire rig in liquid nitrogen and OC it to infinity!

I think we can all agree, hope, and pray that there will be no GTA V. Up to IV was horrible, and then IV just dropped the bar to the floor in all categories.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]I think we can all agree, hope, and pray that there will be no GTA V. Up to IV was horrible, and then IV just dropped the bar to the floor in all categories.[/citation]

Ummm, where have you been for the last year?

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]dude, a 400 dollar pc wont play games at low settings in popular games 7 years down the road. consoles still have some respect for things like parties where 4 people would like to sit down and play some games.[/citation]
Consoles are more often sold at a loss, and Microsoft/Sony will be buying hardware in huge bulk at a greatly discounted price than you'd pay buying off newegg. So these consoles could very well have hardware in the $700-1000 (PC) range.

Generally, an enormous amount of money goes to R&D for these things, but it's sounding like they're going to be using lightly modified PC hardware to cut costs.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Analysts aren't always right, but I think this price range is somewhat obvious. Consoles attract the majority of consumers. Keeping the price relatively low is a necessity to keep people buying the products. Your average consumer doesn't have +$500 to spend on a game system.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
nah...no next gen console for me...i wait for oculus rift to come out.

oculus rift + pc = win!

:p

actually, it would be great if it work on the next gen consoles as well. :)

[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]Ummm, where have you been for the last year?[/citation]

Lol really? GTA IV is hands down one of the WORST coded games of all time and that's on top of being a boring terrible horrible game. Yes. There will be a 5. But we can still pray it dies, the company goes under and the world is not subjected to it.

ToKiiNz

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
$350-$400 i'd rather a overclocked a10 5800k and some smooth 1866 ram and from what was shown at CES the haswell which comes out soon will soon compare to the a10 so if intel enters the apu game with a pentium and there 650m ish preformance graphics the amd apu might have a good competitor and the apus are all amd has left so unless they can combine a 8 core with good integrated graphics like the apus they are going to have some issues

I am pretty stoked about the nextbox... if it really is on x86 hardware, and really does run a slightly modded version of win8, then this could very well be one of the best things to happen to PC gaming ever! It means that games will be designed for the PC first, scaled back a bit to run on the nextbox, and then ported to everyone else. Games would run soooo much better if designed for the PC first rather than designed for console, slap the dev textures back on, and then ported to the PC.

It also would mean kinnect2 for PC, which would not be a bad thing. It would also potentially mean cross compatibility between PC and the nextbox, which would bring mainstream gaming to any win8 desktop... but they would have to have some assurance of not letting PC gamers cheat... which could also mean a lack of mods.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Don't really see what consoles get slammed so much. The 360 came out in what 2005 and it's still going to strong. Try an play a modern game on a circa 2005 PC and it would be comical.[/citation]
... really? My PC in 2005 was not even a gaming PC, and it could run circles around the x360 then, and it could do the same today. I think what you are confused with is that you think that Skyrim and other such games on the PC and on Console are the same things. They are frankly not. AAA games on the PC typically cannot go down to the quality level that is used for console games, plus there is no AA, a lower field of vision, typically lower resolution (though some games do hit 1080p), and 30fps max with a 25-28fps being typical, vs a PC where 60fps is the norm.

Plus you have the port vs native issue, where games are designed around the capabilities of the console, and often ported to the PC. Then, things that are unacceptable to the PC audience (such as the lack of audio streams, dumb AI, etc.) are 'fixed' for the PC version without optomization, creating a fair amount of extra workload.

But the point is that if your PC could game in 2005 at x360 quality, it would still be able to do it today... the only reason it would not be able to is only because PC gamers demand quality which the studios give, while console gamers typically enjoy whatever is given to them.
Nothing against console gaming (I finally got an x360 which I fixed, and enjoy it), but to say that console gaming vs even low end PC gaming are anywhere in the same realm of quality or capability is just silly. And hardware does not get worse over time. If it worked then, then it will work now. the x360 has not magically gotten faster somehow.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
This Pc VS. Console Argument is so retarded it's giveing me gas. There is no correct Anwser because everyone has different needs and wants. What works for one person does nothing for the person next to him. Just amagine if we all drove Blue cars or red Motorcycles?

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
"According to Baird Equity Research, both companies will be using off the shelf high-end PC components instead of custom hardware that is specific just for their console."

Really now? If they were using high-end PC components they WOULDN'T be able to sell it at $350 - $400. What's wrong with analysts?!

metalmechanic

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I see a lot of comments on how old and crumby the hardware must be, and yes it is crap compared to top of the line PC hardware. However, a developer is not going to sit down and develop a game to run just on the hardware setup you have. It will be developed for this specific hardware that comes in these systems. Closed loop development allows them to get so much out of them.

Sure the hardware will be some modified lower end card, but it will be well worth the money for somebody wanting to just play some games and will allow them to make more games that can give your hardware a bit more of a workout.

Yes, PC will always be the ultimate platform, but its openness is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. Therefore a lot of people are scared off by things they just don't know about. As long as I get better looking games, better AI, and more subsystems to allow for better game play I'm down!

Status
Not open for further replies.